cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade QA first followed with DEV, PRD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are upgrading from 4.6c, the server is I550 model with V5R3. We have to perform CPC and then the upgrade.

I have a simple question that was actually proposed to me by my Basis Admin.

Can I perform CPC/upgrade QA system first such that only QA system is out of the landscape? This would mean that the DEV and PRD system would be included in two-system landscape, STMS would have two system configuration(DEV-PRD). It would ensure that the development/testing process is not hampered. Also, the Basis guys would have some relief as the pressure/risk would be minimized. To summarize the sequence for CPC would be QA->DEV->PRD and then upgrade in the same sequence.

Is this possible, feasible, recommended? Please help me with your suggestions...Are there any other workaround similar to this? I believe the experts advice is must before doing anything out of the box.

Regards,

Nick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please someone confirm if I can ask my Team to proceed in this sequence, if it is acceptable:

1. Perform CPC first on QA then on DEV and finally on PRD, test the ASCII landscape.

2. Perform upgrade first on QA then on DEV and finally on PRD, test the landscape.

or

1. Perform CPC and then immediately upgrade QA.

2. Perform CPC on DEV then on PRD and then upgrade DEV first followed by PRD.

3. Configure STMS etc. and bring the 3 systems in landscape.

Thanks in advance! It would be really nice for me as well as the forum members if someone can share the upgrade plan.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nick,

I would recomend to perform step below:

1. Copy your production system and upgrade it. Than make a full test, this to ensure you capture all the problem that might be happen when you upgrade your real production and also to minimize the error to avoid any downtime.

Make this system standalone in STMS.

2. Do upgrade in our Development directly and make a full test. And apply the correction that you you have don in step 1 and again make a full test.

3. Upgrade your QA system and transport all the Change Request for upgrade that you create in Step 2.

4. Upgrade your Production system.

Transport all the change request from Step 2.

This is the best step that we have done. And step 1 have alot minimize the error for our production. But of cource we to have an equale storage size (that the only problem that may be need to consider if you have a big production machine)

During our 4.7 upgrade to ECC6, we almost not get any complaint from our user after the upgrade, everything running very smoth.

Regards,

Fendi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have no standby systems to perform this. This has to be done on the servers itself. Just let me know the possibilities of doing it in the QA-> DEV -> PRD sequence.

teddylv_andersen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nick.

Yes you can do it in any sequence of your choice.

As I expect that you are running iSeries you don't need another server to do a trail system, it can be done on the server holding your system.

Best regards,

Teddy

teddylv_andersen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nick.

If I was going to do this update I would go like this:

1. Copy DEV to a new system.

2. Update the copy of DEV.

This is just a trail to get some experience.

3. Copy PRD to a new system.

4. Update the copy of PRD.

5. Delete newly copy of DEV.

6. New copy of DEV

7. Update original DEV

8. Change the transport string(s) to

DEV --> copy of PRD (New updated system string)

copy of DEV --> TST --> PRD (Old ver. system string)

9. Update the PRD

10. Delete TST

11. Make a copy of PRD to QA

Best regards,

Teddy