cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode or Non-unicode kernel

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an unpatched installation of Mini Web AS 6.2 (Windows XP, English). I am planning to patch or upgrade all components. This includes upgrading the database to MAXDB 7.5 and upgrading the kernel to 6.40. As best I can tell, the current kernel is NON-UNICODE. SAP seems to be going towards unicode. Question--will I corrupt the database and really screw things up if I apply the UNICODE versions of the latest Web AS 6.40 kernel patches?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

AFAIK the MiniSAP Versions are always Non-Unicode version. You should stay on a non-Unicode kernel. But what do you expect from Upgrading? Is your system not running smoothly?

Regards

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. So far, I have upgraded the database but not the WAS kernel. It's next on my agenda. When I upgraded the database, the upgrade process indicated that the MAXDB internal tables (i.e., my paraphase) were being converted to UNICODE. Question--will a 6.40 non-unicode WAS kernel function properly regardless?

--

The main thing that I hope to accompish from upgrading is screens and messages that appear in English. Currently, some screens appear in a mix of English and German.

--

Also, I am under the impression that I have to upgrade the WAS kernel in order to apply all BASIS and ABA service packs. Is that correct?

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

1. Have you tried to start your instance after the DB upgrade?

2. The EN-DE Mix looks strange

3. That's correct. Before you do Basis and ABA Updates via SPAM you should have an actual kernel.

But wouldn't it be easier to get the latest WebAS 6.40 ABAP Sneak Preview here from the SDN Download Area and install that from scratch? It takes only 90 minutes.

Regards

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. It's not clear to me that the 6.2 kernel supports the 7.5 database--so I have not tried to start the WebAS.

-

I thought about downloading the 6.4 WebAS for ABAP. According to the web site, 2 GB of RAM is recommended. My computer only has 1 GB of RAM. Besides SAP, I want to be able to run Oracle and Cronacle. My understanding is that the Mini WAS 6.2 is tuned to use less memory than the 6.4 WebAS ABAP Sneak Preview.

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

many People reported that they have installed the ABAP Version with 512 MB RAM. I've done it with 768 MB and it is running smoothly.

Regards

Gregor

Answers (0)