cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Management Options in NetWeaver

Former Member
0 Kudos

My company has been told by various consultants to hold off on CMS until it matures a bit. Are there any other good alternatives you've seen out there for handling change management in NetWeaver?

(ie. Tools that help manage authorizations and movement of either transports or import/exports from one environment to another).

Thanks, Kevin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What version of the JDI did they evaluate? Also, what are you specifically trying to transport? If it is WebDynpro code I would recommend that you you the JDI to manage your code transports.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure what version of JDI they evaluated, but we've been told that the current version of CMS is not quite ready.

We are specifically trying to manage the following change management scenarios:

1) XI development from D > A > P

2) XI configuration from D > A > P (both ABAP and Java stacks)

3) Portal development using WebDynpro from D > A > P

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are on SP 13 and currently do scenarios 1 and 3 with no real problems. 14 is out and we are in the process of upgrading.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On scenario 1, are you saying that you use JDI for it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

On scenario 1, are you saying that you use JDI for it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I talked to SAP recently on the change management options for XI. There is a way you could activate XI to use CMS (part of NetWeaver Development infrastructure or NWDI) for transporting objects across environments (dev, qa etc.)

Since XI was one of the first Netweaver components, it had its own DTR which is totally different from the DTR that is integrated with NWDI (formally JDI). The DTR in XI maintains only two versions - active and inactive whereas the DTR in NWDI is much more robust. SAP's future direction is to make xi use the DTR in NWDI. Until then, we need to manage the version of the repository and directory objects manually using an external version control system. (thru export/import etc.)

For now, we can use CMS to transport and wait on SAP to integrate XI with the rest ot the NWDI infrastructure.

Regards,

Suresh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes we do. One of the choices when you set up CMS and define your track is to select if your are connecting to a XI system. This is a drop down in the list of parameters when you set up your system. Just make sure that you select XI and we have had no problems.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The company that I had previously consulted for had similar requirement for change management in Netweaver, and ended up using a third party product named Odyssey. The tool was fairly simple to use, could easily handle our requirements and more, and seemed quite stable.