cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kernal upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

how should i upgrade from kernal 620- kernal640. it gives me error 28 when i try to upgrade.

thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you provide some more detail? How are you applying the new files contained in kernel 640? Have you extracted these in a separate directory?

Thanks,

J. Haynes

Denver, CO

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes i have backed up existing run directory and also i stopped the application server and do i need to stop any services? and then i tried extract two .sar files in run directory it says "could not read from sap.exe becoz it is used by another process,error 28.plz help

thanks

subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. You should extract kernel files to temporary directory

2. Stop SAP system (and kill all sapstartsrv.exe windows processes running in context of SAPService<SID>

3. copy new kernel files to

<DRIVE>\usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\<kernel type: like UC/NUC>\<processor :like NTINTEL/NTAMD64>

4. Start SAP system : During start SAP system updates executabled from directory (3)

After starting SAP system right click in MMC on dystem and select option Display version to check if all files were updates.

regards,

Wojtek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

Whenever you are doing Kernel upgrade .....(take the backup of old kernel)

1)U need to stopsap and stop all the services like saposcol and all related to sap.

2)Keep the .SAR files in a temporary dir like /tmp

3)Extract the SAR files into a new directory like /tmp/newkernel

3)Then goto ur kernel directory /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run

4)Give the command as cp -Rf /tmp/newkernel/* .

5)When u execute this command all the kernel files will be updated in the run directory .u can see the date of modified also.

6)After that check the disp+work version by giving the command

disp+work -version

This will give u the kernel version (Latest).

7)startsap

8)Change the permission of SAPOSCOL to root and the permissions shd be like -rwsr-xr-x .

9)Then check the version in SAP level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you jagadish that was helpful

Answers (0)