Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activites in NWDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am new to this NWDI.Can any one plz give me details abt

1)When activites has to be created and

2)how many activties a component can have ??

3)Is it possible to work in 2 activites at a time??

Regards

Padma N

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Padma,

1)If you want to create a new DC or to modify existing DC you need an activity

2)At a time a DC can have one activity, I mean you can create multiple activities but for no use. You can assign all changes of a DC to same activity. Once you check in, you need to create new activity.

3)You can but its confusing to have 2 activities for same DC, you need to which activity for what.

Let me know if need further help.

Regards

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

I created one DC and one component in the DC with one window and 2 views .While doing this i created an activity.Now i want to add one more view to my window and i wat to make it as new activity.By default the first activity is in Checkout mode.So it is giving error while creating 2nd activity.

can u plz tell me how to resolve this??

Regards

Padma N

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should reuse activities if changes to different sources are logically connected. So you could even had resources from multiple DCs in one activity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Padma,

Why you need second activity, those change are logically related to same DC.

Regards

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Activities in NWDI are like locks for your source code. So if you are working on a view (in a webdynpro DC), all relevant files of the view are "checked-out" for you to edit (also serves as a marker telling others that your actually editing them and not to touch them - in a team environment). Not only this, but an activity also functions as version control. Keep modifying the same view and check-in and modify again at a later point of time, NWDI keeps track of the versions.

1)So, thats when you create an activity. Whenever you're modifying source from the repository (i.e DTR), you create an activity and then check-in when you're done with it.

2)There's no limit to the number of activities for a component. Logically you create an activity whenever you change something either part of the DC or the whole of it. And its good to work on different activities for a particular change because you've different versions available through the timeline. For ex. you've to make change A and B to a DC. Either you can create an activity, incorporate both changes A and B and check them in. Alternatively, you can create activity1 incorporate change A, check-in and create activity2 incorporate change B check-in. You've two versions of the source code maintained in the DTR so that you can revert to an old version if necessary.

3)It is possible to work on 2 or more activities at the same time (for the SAME DC), but it is not advisable due to the behaviour of activities (all the activities are consolidated upon check-in and a good reason is to avoid source conflict).

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Rajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. When you are logged on to JDI server through NWDS and when you 'check-out' the Development Component for carrying out any modification, you may have to create an activity.

2. It is better to have one open activity for each dev. component.

3. It is possible to work in more than one activity at a time.

Regards

Srinivasan T