cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max WBS & WBS element in one project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Wht should be the max number of WBS & WBS elements which we can assign in one project.

Rgds

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shrikrishna,

You should review note 206264 - Large project structures, long runtimes.

It provides guide lines on the maximum size of projects.

Regards,

Damien.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thnks

stheurkar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Shri,

I think we can create max. 999 wbs elements for one project.

The work breakdown structure is the operative basis for the further steps in project planning, for example, cost planning, scheduling, capacity planning as well as project controlling.

A project is structured:

1. According to how it is organized

2. According to the processes involved

The project structure can be represented according to different criteria and combinations:

1. According to Service Departments like Engineering, Testing, Civil, CCD, Consultancy Services (TCE) etc.

2. According to Location of work like Salsette, Borivili etc

3. According to functions (function-oriented) Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Instrumentation etc

One of the first steps in project planning is to break down the work into tasks and form a hierarchy. The criteria you use to classify and divide tasks varies depending on the type and complexity of the project.

For Example, the responsibility for tasks and the structure of the departments involved in some projects plays as much a role as the technical aspects in other projects. Suppose a project is for Power supply to new consumers.

The level 1 WBS (Top Level = Project Definition) will be the main coordinating division, say Distribution Division.

Level 2 WBS will be to classify and divide tasks according to the type of work (According to functions) namely Procurement, Civil, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of the project. Hence each of these will be various level 2 WBS.

Each of the above level 2 WBS will be further divided into various WBS forming Level 3, 4, 5 & 6 depending on the complexities of the project which involves hierarchy and location.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Please make sure that the logic of structuring should be based on how you are going to collect costs in your system, more simpler the structure, more precise will be the control.

If this found a satisfactory Reward the Points.

Regards,

Sandeep N.Theurkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandip ,

Thnks for the efforts but my Question was entirely different.Question is already resolved. Anyways thnks again.I couldn't put the reward pts to you as I marked the status as Pbs solved so SDN doesn't allows me to do that.Anyways there are few more questions will come from me..you can put any answer against that.......... Have a great day.

Regards,

Shrikrishna R.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ShriKrishna,

It depends on your Project Coding Mask. As such, it i advisable to have as minimum number of WBSE as possible to avoid maintenance problems.

regards

Pratap.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

The prj codeing mask also has limitiation of 24 char again that will controll only WBS no wht @ networks. Ideally max how many WBs & networks shuld we create in Project for effectivve functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i think wbs max is 99 for one project.Please do reward points if find it usefull.

Thanking you,

Best regrds,

R.Srinivasan

Edited by: ramanujam srinivasan on Jan 21, 2008 10:45 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shrikrishna,

Though the character length is 24, the number of WBSE depends on how you design it.

As such there is no ideal limit to the number of WBSE in a project. No such figure can be given by anyone. As I already told, try to limit the number to as small as possible. Because creating WBSE is not a big thing, but maintaining those number is a very difficult thing.

I do not think that any llimit is there to the number of networks as such in Standard SAP.

regards

Pratap.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thnks Pratap,

I read in some doc that max 500 wbs including networks so that we can monitor the prj easily but I want to get assured as I dont hv any doc for that.

Thnks again for ur inputs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Actually The Maxmimum number of WBS is decided by the

length of the charecter in the project coding mask.If we are using an external number range then the alphabetic nature may influence the number of wbs based on the permutations

and combinations.Do reward points if it is usefull.

Thanking you,

Best regards,

R.Srinivasan