cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up algorithm on MDM Client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question relating to setting up algorithm on MDM Client.

There is a main table and several taxonomies associated to different attributes.

The requirement is to concatenate the values of attributes and put them into a new field whenever the user creates a new record on MDM client.

Can it be done without using Java API? If not, what efforts do you think it needs to accomplish that?

The another requirement is to update the field every time the values of attributes get changed. I think it can be done only via Java API. Right?

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I am not a java programmer. But I did familiarize myself with API function calls by going through the documentation that comes with API.

From what I have seen, once you have a good idea of the relevant API calls (how to connect to catalog, how to retrive attributes values, what is the function call for concatenation, how to pass it back, the result set definition, and throw exceptions as needed etc,), and java syntax (of course , probably a low effort of 40hrs to code, unit test, and validate a program??

Good luck with API..

Savi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

If it is dealing with fields, you could have used calculation expressions to concatenate. I am not sure if you can use calculation expressions with attributes to concatenate and create new ones. That is something to rule out first.

Since you want it dynamic (change when the attribute values change),

1) can write a java class that runs at defined intervals that does the concatenation.

Or 2) you can create an import map, and make it an import manager batch command, and schedule it at defined intervals to do the job.

Good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Savitri,

Thanks for your response.

I think I have to take the first option since the majority of work is done on MDM client meaning that the new records will get created manually on MDM client not via MDM import manager.

I do have a follow-up question regarding the java class. Since I am not good at java, will you tell me what kind of effort needs to accomplish that?

Thanks a lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Your requirement looks like need to be online : The moment you enter data, you need attributes to be concatenated. But, if you write a java class, you need to execute this in the background at certain fixed intervals. Keep this in mind before deciding on something.

Regarding the Java API, it should not take much time. You have methods which can be used to retrieve attributes from the taxonomy and you have a method for updating the record in "CatalogData" class. Rest is all the general Java programming skill that is required for concatenation.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much both of you.

I will try to be familiar with Java API.

BTW, I will reward the points as soon as it works. I can't reward because of problem at SDN.

Message was edited by: Thomas Chung