cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query Regarding DTR ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can we maintain non java code (for ex: word documents, VB projects etc...) in DTR?

Is there a stand alone version of DTR which can be installed on client and used for check in and check out of the resources? ( not through Netweaver Developer Studio on Client Machines )

Thank You

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

yasu_ramaiah
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Reed,

To my knowledge yes dtr can version any type of file. without using NWDS one can use dtr using the .bat files provided in the nwds/eclipse plugins section for eg - C:\Program Files\SAP\JDT\eclipse\plugins\com.tssap.dtr.client.vfs.

i think you have to first create a dtr client and configure for a dtr server/workspace.

hope this would help!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yasu,

Thank you for the reply.

Hmm, so I can check in and check out the VB,C,C++ projects in DTR.

and as you said command line tool must be used to maintain the resources from DTR, which doesnt seem to be a good option for project leaders and project managers, who will be normally checking in and out the word documents.

what is the recommendation, to use DTR only for "SAP" "Java" projects that we develop and to use other versioning systems such as perforce, cvs and VSS for maintainence of documents.

DTR experts, what is youur take on this?

THnak you

former_member183805
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, you can use the UI as well, but that would mean installing the whole NetWeaver Developer Studio (with all its plugins). So there is no "slim" version containing only the DTR related plugins.

DTR is a generic file/folder based versioning system, which can be used to store documents of any kind - so it is (in this sense) similar to version control systems like Perforce & CVS.

We at SAP use DTR to store documents as well.

Regards,

Manohar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manohar,

Thank you for the reply

SO, In a corporate, all the business users who check in and check out word docs and my VB team shoudl have NWDS installed on thier PC's which take up a lot of resources when started. Do you recommend this? what do you suggest?

How are you checking in a word document? i.e. will you create a project in NWDS for adding a word document to it for checking in into DTR. what about VB projects,etc.. how can they be imported into NWDS for checking in into DTR.

Thank you

Message was edited by: reed

former_member183805
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reed,

Although a "slim" client would be ideal, the corporate users can also use only the DTR Perspective in NWDS to store their documents (or VB projects). The Eclipse architecture ensures that plugins are loaded on demand - so although NWDS contains many plugins, these will not be loaded so the memory footprint should not be so high.

To work with documents (or other projects), you need to proceed as follows:

1) Create a "Client" in DTR

2) Create a suitable hierarchy of "Workspace Folders","Workspaces" and "Folders"

3) Sync the empty folders to local machine, and under these folder place the files (and folders) you wish to add to DTR

4) Refresh the "Repository Browser", and you will see these "new" files and folders.

5) USe the context menu to "Add" these files/folders to an activity, and checkin the activity.

So you do not need a "project" in NWDS to store things in DTR - you can work purely from the DTR Perspective, and use it as a version control system to store your files of any kind.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Manohar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reed,

I suggest you to go through this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/38/33eb9c3e1fe2409a9eba8246b933ca/content.htm (Scenario-1).

In fact i am writing Article on addressing these points, may be within short we can expect to see in SDN.

Regards,

RK