cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing threads

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm a little bit fed up with reading a lot of threads on the forums that have already been solved.

Couldn't you add some sort of warning when someone creates a thread to remind him to close the thread and the instructions on how to do it?

Answering questions would be a much more easy job if solved threads were correctly closed by their creators.

I believe there are lots of people that don't even know how to close a thread. They just post the question and wait for answers.

Regards,

David.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

By closing a thread I assume you mean marking it as "Solved", do you have a recommendation on how to accomplish this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe that people should have in mind that they are responsible of each thread they open, so maybe a popup screen when they open a thread such as "Please, remember to close this thread once it is solved by either assigning a "Solved Problem" award to an answer or assigning a "Solved it on my own" to it".

Maybe it can be a little text before creating a question... I'm sure people over here will have better ideas or suggestions!

Regards,

David.

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's rather difficult. Despite the fact that in each response mail is stated that one has to reward points, one neglects all this. I started to post a msg in each thread as a reminder, but then I get on other people nerves too.

Eddy

maximilian_schaufler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On the other hand, who on earth reads the reminder in the response mails?

The ones who did so when they noticed a change in mail layout (or got one for the first time) are very likely to know and follow forum rules anyway ... those who do not behave like this won't read this part of the mail anyway.

I think that anytime the user who marked his post as a question should get an in-site-reminder, so everytime he revisits his thread he gets reminded.

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Question is if such things works in RSS readers too. It took me a while to find an RSS reader which let me do all things needed.

I don't know if it's feasable with the huge amount of threads, but what about letting the system send a mail and if one doesn't react it'll get automaticaly closed, points assigned to all responses (and as "punishment" substracted from their own points).

Eddy

maximilian_schaufler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Such a process would not be useful for the community imo.

It would only make people post answers to every possible thread just in case they get points assigned, even though the answer is not really valuable. Also, at which point of time should the mail be sent - some threads might be open for quite some time legitimately ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys, I think you are all going overboard here.

We are working on some new features with Filters and reminders and things like that so let's see how that works out and then think a bit further.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Craig, let's wait for them then.

See, a little example of what I was saying:

Regards,

David.