cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web AS installation - Right Approach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using SAP Enterprise Portal for web enabling content from SAP R/3, SAP BW and few other non-SAP systems.

As per my understanding SAP R/3, SAP BW and SAP Portal, all run on SAP Web AS (platform).

We have a single machine for all the applications (R/3, BW and Portal) to be installed (cannot be changed).

Keeping all this in mind, what is the best approach for installation?

1. Same Web AS instance for all the servers

2. Separate Web AS instance for all the applications (like one for portal, another for R/3 etc).

3. Any other approach???

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jpolus
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is a very challenging question. You did not give a lot of details other than you only have one machine. And you didn't specify what kind of machine it is.

First, unless this is one big box or you have only a few users I would not recommend this for any kind of production system. With that said, I'll assume that this is for some kind of development environment.

The current releases of R/3 can't run on the NetWeaver04 release of the web application server. You won't be able to do that till the 2004s of the NetWeaver and the new ERP version (I can't remember the name right now). So you will have to install a separate Web AS for the R/3 instance.

As for the BW and Portal, I would install both on the same NetWeaver Web AS platform. You will save some system resources by having only one Web AS for both.

Hope this is the kind of information you are looking for.

John

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandrashkar,

One more thing. I'm not sure what is the case with latest EP SR1 installation, but EP 6.0 on WAS 6.40 works only and only on WAS Java standalone stack. While R/3 (which version do you intend) and BW 3.5 require WAS ABAP stack.

So I think these things conflict your scenario and despite of having high end hardware, you've take into consideration WAS versions of componenets.

Regards,

Youvraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guyz.

This is the info I was looking for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandarsekhar,

This is purely depends on the System(Hardware) and the usage of the systems(Production,Test,etc..)

It is not best practice to put all in one box if it is production unless it is a very very big box(min 8-10GB RAM)

Calculate the Load and based on that you can install the SAP Systems.

You can find how sizing should be done using http://service.sap.com/quicksizing

regards

Anand.M