cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info about implementing Distributed SAP from Unique SAP Server

0 Kudos

Hi:

We have an R3 PROD system, (Oracle DB, SunOS)installed on a unique machine. In this machine, it is also the Database, the SO and (of course), the Application Server.

Actually, we were required to get the Application Server separated into 2 or 3 machines. And, we were asked if we can separate the database on a different computer.

We would like any information about how to get started to plan this activity. Of course, we would like any technical information, but we know that it depends a lot of our specific case.

We'll appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Abraham

I think the best place to start is the Homogeneous System Copy Guide which will discuss the HA and Distributed system options which are available. I think you will basically need to take an export of your current system and then import the various instances onto different servers.

Http:
service.sap.com\systemcopy for more detailed information.

Regards,

David

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Thanks for your comments.

As I understand, we need to make an offline copy of our system, and then, make a system copy, using the options of "distributed system" described on SAP manuals of System Copy, is that correct?

After som research, I have some questions:

- Do we need to take some cautions if our main machine will become our Central Instance? If we make the export and then install the distributed system in the same machine, there would be problems?

- As we see, there is also Dialog instances (to distribute the system). Do we need to install SAP in our machines that will be Dialog instances?

- And how we install the differente Application servers, if we have ready the Dialong instances? From RZ04 from the Central Instance?

If you have any other importante comment, we will appreciate.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Abraham,

That is essentially the procedure here. Regarding your questions,

- If you reuse the main machine to become your central instance this is of course possible but with a number of limitations. Firstly as you would technically be installing a second system on the server you would have to select a different SID and instance number for the new system. You cannot have two systems with the same SID on the same server. You could try to get around this using virtual host names perhaps ?

- I'm afraid I'm not sure what you man by your second question, can you please clarify?

- You can move your application servers to point to the new CI / DB by copying the instance and startup profile from the old CI / DB to the new one, edit the profiles to point to the new CI / DB and then we modify the startsapsrv service to point to the new CI / DB.

Hopefully this helps,

Regards,

David