cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QM Formula for calculated characteristics in TL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

I want to use "calculated characteristics" at result entry, i.e. that the result of one characteristics is calculated with a formula based on the result of another characteristic.

Is it true that I have to use task lists to define the formula? I do not use task lists in the set-up, only material specifications.

Is there another way to record the fomula?

Thanks!

Rgds

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you need task list for the purpose, in task list we use the formula tab page to do the calculation

For this you need to mark MIC as "calculated"

in MIC maintenance screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesha,

thanks for your answer. We're not going to use inspection plans in our set-up but I still need to find a way to calculate some results automatically based on other char results.

Can I also store the formula in the material specification or in the characteristic? Or is there a user exit which I can configure?

Rgds, Jessica

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can do simple calculations using general characteristics in the batch. These charcacteristics use variant config functionlity to calculate their values. Some of the calculations can be long... but you won't have use of advance mathmatical functions. But if it is a +,-,/,*,% math problem, then it can be done.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

thanks, that seems doable since we only need to use +,-,/,*,%. Can you tell me in more detail how it's done?

How do I set up a general char? How is it different from a "normal" char? How do I set up the variant config functionality? Thx!

Jessica

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

General characteristics are "normal" characterisitcs. You use CT04 to create and edit them just like the others.

Basically, under variant config you create an object dependency. In the object dependency you select "procedure" and enter in the appropriate code to do the calculation.

The object dependency is then assigned to one of the characterisitics that holds a value used in the calculation. When the characteristic is updated with a new value, (i.e. after the UD), the dependency is run, and the calculated characteristic is updated with the calculated value. The dependency should be assigned to the characteristic that is the last input used in the calculation. So if your formala is CHAR05 = (CHAR01 + CHAR02 + CHAR03)/CHAR04 then you should assign the dependency to CHAR04.

If you contact me at Tillerman58@yahoo.com I can probably send you some info on the dependencies.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

your presentation is really useful. I still get a lot of error message when I want to set it up, though.

For example, I want to multiply the result from char Pb with 1.077 to get the result for char PbO.

1. Is this source code correct?:

$SELF.PBO = $SELF.PB x 1.077

2. I would create this dependency in char PB, right?

3. I was thinking to create local dependencies because this formula is really specific to the char.

4. After the result of char Pb is entered, will the system automatically run the dependency? Can I also see the result of PbO in the result recording screen in QM? Can it also be valuated against the specs?

Thanks for clarifying!

Rgds, Jessica

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Off hand the code and process looks right. I'll try to look at in more detail in a bit. It should be created in PB yes. Having it as a local dependency should be fine since your not using it anywhere else. I set them as globals when you might have 4 or 5 characteristics involved in the calculation.

The system should automatically run the dependency. You should see the result after the UD for instance.

You will not see the result in the results recording screen. And you get no chance to valuate the result as you do in resutlls recording.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

I finally found the correct formula:

$SELF.PBO = PB * 1.077

So now I recorded a result for Pb, valuated and closed it, and took the usage decision. But when I went it afterwards to check, the char PbO was still empty in the display result recording screen and in the batch master. But it shows up as Charact. relevant for usage decision in the UD recording screen.

Do I manually have to trigger the calculation?

Thanks.

Jessica

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The characteristic being calculated in the manner I described should not be in the inspection lot and not linked with an MIC. It should simply be a batch characteristic.

To test that it is updating correctly, create a dummy batch, or use one that you have around, go to MSC2n and enter a value for PB or change it. Save. If you come back into the lot you should find PBO has a value. Until you can get this working, don't even try the UD.

If this is working, then when you do a UD and PB is enterred by the UD, then PBO should be calculated.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Craig,

thanks, it's working now. When I enter a value directly in the batch in PB, or it is copied because of the UD; then the value for PBO is automatically calculated. ))

But as you said, since it's a class char and not a MIC, it's not displayed in the result recording screen.

As far as I understand, if I want to set up calculated char in QM, then I can only do it via inspection plans, right?

But we are not using inspection plans and since the users really want to see the calculated values directly during result recording, we're thinking of using a user exit in the result recording screen to calculate the values of these char automatically.

Rgds, Jessica

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you have the process right. As set up now you only see them in the batch record. To see them in RR you'll need to use inspection plans and a calculated characteristic.

Let me know how you make out with the user exit for doing this in RR. I haven't seen anyone try that so I'd be curious as to how difficult you find it to be.

Hopefully the work you did on the dependency won't go to waste. Maybe you'll be able to use that in a future project. Few people seem to know you can do that.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure, I'll let you know. I don't think it was a waste, I'm glad I finally know how to do that! In the meantime, I'll put this questions to answered.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards, Jessica

Answers (0)