Did you mean: 

Availability Check & MRP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I need your inputs in the following scenarios:

a) Availability Check

b) MRP

I know some details about customizing these from SD Point of view(IMG>SD>Basic Functions).

I need to understand logically why and where these are used in SD Flow / SD Module.

Kindly give your suggestions to understand these in a better way.

I would be greatful to you if you can provide me the links or sources wherein I get the information regarding these.

Regards,

Raj Kumar Reddy,

SAP-SD Consultant.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

former_member641011
Discoverer
0 Kudos

please someone guide me MRP role in sap SD with example?

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear SD

a) Availability Check

When you enter a sales order, you can only confirm the delivery of the goods for the required delivery date if the goods are available for all the necessary processing activities which take place before delivery:

• The shipping department must ensure that freight forwarding or another shipping company is advised early enough so that sufficient time remains for packing and loading to be carried out. An availability check can be carried out on the deadline date for availability for the goods.

• The procurement department must ensure that the production and purchasing departments are advised of inadequate stock quantities so that goods can either be produced punctually or ordered. Sales transfers the information on materials ordered as requirements to material requirements planning. Requirements are planned outward movements of stock. The transfer of requirements informs production that goods must be produced, or advises purchasing that purchase requisitions have been created for which purchase orders must be created and sent to the suppliers. An availability check can only be carried out if these requirements are transferred.

b) MRP

The main function of material requirements planning is to guarantee material availability, that is, it is used to procure or produce the requirement quantities on time both for internal purposes and for sales and distribution. This process involves the monitoring of stocks and, in particular, the automatic creation of procurement proposals for purchasing and production.

In doing so, MRP tries to strike the best balance possible between

• optimizing the service level and

• minimizing costs and capital lockup.

The MRP component (PP-MRP) assists and relieves MRP controllers in their area of responsibility. The MRP controller is responsible for all activities related to specifying the type, quantity, and time of the requirements, in addition to calculating when and for what quantity an order proposal has to be created to cover these requirements. The MRP controller needs all the information on stocks, stock reservations, and stocks on order to calculate quantities, and also needs information on lead times and procurement times to calculate dates. The MRP controller defines a suitable MRP and lot-sizing procedure for each material to determine procurement proposals.

Thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

The use of Availability Check is that when the customer places ana order and wants the order to be delivered on particular day the system checks that if the order can be delivered on desired date.for which a backward schedulign is done if it fails then a forward scheduling is done.

The role of MRP type is to chekc that if the material ordered is a Make to Order or Make to stock .

Based on the combination of availability check and MRP type the delivery date is decided.

Please let me know if this helps.If yes then award points.

Regards

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj Kumar Reddy

Availability check can be carried out with or with out RLT (replenishment lead time) The time that is required by the business to procure the materials internally or externally. If it is trading good system takes goods receipt time + planned purchasing processing time. If it is finished product system takes in house production time. If RLT activated then the system takes RLT time in to consideration by assuming that material will be available exactly at the end of the RLT time.

Ramana Paruchuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

When we create a delivery, an availability check is initiated for deciding the picking date.Aavailability check can be done in the sales order and in the delivery.

Please go through teh following link for more information on availability check:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/93/744cbf546011d1a7020000e829fd11/frameset.htm

Regardsing MRP please go through following link :

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/ff/515c4749d811d182b80000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

Thanks,

Chitra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SD,

I will suggest you to visit http://sap-img.com/sap-sd.htm. It will give you the overview of SAP SD module.

There is a separate section on availability which covers:

1) Availability Check on Quotation

2) SD material Determination based on availability check

3) Creating Multiple Materials in Material Determination

4) Backward and Forward Scheduling

Do let me know in case of any queries.

Hope this helps you.

Do award points if you found them useful.

Regards,

Rakesh

former_member204513
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

You go through this link you will be able to get some Idea about Availbility Check

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/6b/2785347860ea35e10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

Regards,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you know everything in a business is revolving around a customer ORDER which is SD function.

So when the organisation gets an ORDER it has neccesarily check the availability of the product for which it has got the ORDER.If it is available the the product can be delivered.If not

then Material requirement planning takes place to fullfill the order.These are done in order to avoid excess stock and to maintain JIT kind of an inventory.

I hope i clarified your quiery.Please do reward points if it is so.

Thanking you,

Best regrds,

R.Srinivasan