cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended safety stock planning

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am working on an SNP project and there has been some talk regarding running the extended safety stock planning before the SNP planning run.

Could somebody please explain me why would you like to do so? and what are the merits in running it earlier as compared to running it later then the SNP planning run.

In the case of the standard safety stock planning we can do it simultaneously as the SNP run takes place by reading the safety stock product master data.

Thanks

Edited by: Apo Apo on Jan 20, 2008 7:17 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ash.

The results from the extended safety stock planning run populate the planned safety stock key figure (see standard planning book 9ASNP_SSP). This key figure is used to calculate the Target Stock Level key figure which is used in the SNP Hueristics run.

This is why it is usual to run the extended safety stock before the SNP run.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for ur kind reply.

I have a follow up questions which is

1.what is the math behind the calculation of the target stock level from the safety stock values. I think that it would be?

Target stock level= Maximum stock level+ safety stock

if this is the right formulation where does the system read the maximum stock level read from. Is this is the same as the stock level that is specified in the product master.

2.Once the target stock level is computed then please confirm that the target stock level is considered as demand by the system (heuristics) and used for the netting process against which the purchase requisitions, planned orders and stock transfers are created.

Netting= planned independent requirement (PIR) -sales order (based on the consumption mode) +target stock level ( computed after the safety stock planning)

Kindly give ur comments on the same.

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

The Target Stock Level is calculated using the 'Safety Stk/Reorder Point/Targt Stock Lvl' in the planning book.

In particular it uses the TARGET_CALC function.

The actual maths of the calculation will depend upon the target stock level method maintained in the Product/Location master.

F1 on the TSL Method field in the product location with regard to SNP reads:

"Target Stock Level Method

Use

Use in Supply Network Planning (SNP)

The target stock level method is only considered during heuristic-based planning (and not optimization-based planning). The target stock level represents a value that is to be reached by the available stock on hand during planning. The following methods are available:

No entry: The system derives the target stock level from the target days' supply that is specified in the location product master.

1-3: The system derives the target stock level from the target days' supply specified in interactive SNP (time-based maintenance), or uses the target stock level that is entered there.

4-6: To determine the target stock level, the system uses the value specified in the Maximum Stock Level field in conjunction with the safety stock or target days' supply specified in the location product master.

7: The system does not take any target stock level into account."

During Heuristics the system will in effect aim to meet the target stock level (which includes safety stock) taking into account Total Demand, Total (existing) Receipts and projected stock on hand.

Hope this helps, M

Can I suggest that you put follow on questions as a separate post as it can help other members when searching for answers.

Chrs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Percx,

Do you have any idea how CTM uses this Extended \Safety stock? I have generated the safety stock by creating the profile. However when I execute my CTM planning run, the CTM engine ignores the safety stock values created by the profile. The safety stock value is respected by CTM if I change the safety stock method to SB in product master, but fails if I use any of the extended methods (BS, BT etc....)

I have already gone throught the several SAP notes on this topics & SAP help. I have created a planning book & macros identical to 9ASNP_SSP planning book and tried SAFTY keyfigure available to CTM in customizing.

Do you think I maybe missing something?

Regards,

Srinidhi