cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert JAVA Web Dynpro to ABAP Web Dynpro application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a way to port a JAVA Web Dynpro application to ABAP Web Dynpro. We have some JAVA WD apps that would now make more sense to have running on our ABAP system so we would like to convert them to ABAP WD apps.

I know the theory is that WD is metadata/XML based so it should be possible to port the WD definition to ABAP and have the ABAP runtime generate the application again in ABAP. I expect that any custom code that is written in JAVA would need to be manually rewritten in ABAP - but it would be great if there was tool or method to at least port the majority of the application.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Simon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181883
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Simon

You are correct in thinking that all WD apps are based on metadata, but unfortunately, the similarity between WD Java and WD ABAP is just a conceptual one, and no such tool exists to convert one to the other.

In addition to this, there are certain implementation differences between ABAP and Java that mean you could not convert one to the other. For instance, the whole concept of model objects does not exist in WD ABAP. Therefore, structural entities used in WD Java such as model components could not be tranlsated into anything that exists in ABAP, because the concept is redundant in the target language.

Sorry about that, but Java and ABAP are sufficiently different beasts that such a tool is not possible.

Regards

Chris W

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris.

Answers (0)