cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCMS customizations and system refreshes

former_member263733
Participant
0 Kudos

I have inherited certain aspects of our system administration team and apologize for what may be a general question.

We perform regular system refreshes (PRODUCTION system copied into STAGE environment).

We have only recently begun exapanding our use of CCMS. As part of this process we have added several "custom" alerts in the PRD and STG systems.

The values, thresholds (and even the existence) of these customiations vary between the two systems.

My general question is how can we avoid having the PRD CCMS customizations overwrite the values in STG as part of a PRD -> STG system refresh?

I was thinking these customizations are maintained in a table somewhere, and that it might be possible to export and import after the refresh. However, I am not able to find what tables these are.

Any suggestions along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jeff Henke

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One thing to think about is going into each monitor and saving to a PC file and then re-loading after the refresh.

Wasn't sure if you had already tried that.

Thanks,

J. Haynes

Denver, CO

former_member263733
Participant
0 Kudos

I did find that option and that is OK for documentation purposes - and in fact if we do manually reset them after a refresh (one by one) we would use this as our reference.

However where it falls short is we would like to be able to somehow "export" and them "import" them back into the system after the refresh.

I was looking at all the options but didn't see anything like that. Again, thanks for your suggestions so far.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jeff,

I think the usage of monitoring variants could help here. Simply create a special monitoring variant for your test system. Then export the variant using the transport functionality in rz21 (available in the variant overview). Here you can include properties, thresholds and also method assignments into the transport.

After system refresh you could use the transport to import this variant and activate it.

A more sophisticated approach would be to use a central monitoring system where all monitoring variants are maintained and then transported regularly to all systems in question (this procedure is indeed used in some bigger monitoring landscapes).

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could just make it part of your refresh procedure to turn off alerts in your STAGE system when you do the refresh. Just like you do printing, jobs, etc.

former_member263733
Participant
0 Kudos

not sure this is exactly what I was aksing - my fault for not being clear. One thing I didn't include - if it matters - is that we are talking about an ABAP 6.40 system, running Oracle 10.x

Anyhow, it isn't the alerts themselves I am wondering about it is the threshold (values) that we use. Some of the values in the PRODUCTION system are smaller than they are in STAGE, and there are even some alerts that we have in PRD, but don't care about in STG.

When we do a refresh from PRD -> STG won't these customizations (i.e. threhold values) from PRD now be set in STG?

If so, is there a way to easily "restore" the orginal STG values other than doing them manually one by one?

thanks for any input you might have!

Jeff Henke