cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 Performance Help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I am new to SAP R/3 and I have been given the lucky job of looking at R3 performance. However I have been on the ADM315 course but am still having a little difficulty finding my way around and what to look for.

I was wondering if anyone has and good white papers, websites or documents which will help me understand and get to grips with performance.

Thanking you all in advance

Phil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

I found the book 'SAP Performance' from SAPPRESS is very good.

Jason

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls don't forget to reward points and close the question if you find the answers useful.

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have that, I have been going through it it is just a 'heavy' read! Was looking for something with a good overview.

Thanks anyway

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't worry Eddy I ALWAYS reward points

Phil

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, There's also the BC490 course http://www50.sap.com/useducation/curriculum/course.asp?cid=60119869, which takes 3 days. Don't expect that one present the subject matter in easily digestible chunks though. It's all rather complicated.

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had noticed that the other day actually, however it seems to be geared towards developers. The ADM315 gives a good overall view of R3 Performance, the problem seems to be when you are on the course it makes sense and is relatively straight forward. When you return to your own organisation it is a very difference story.

If you find any documentaition let me know - thanks Eddy!

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's indeed more for developers, but all depends on that. You could put as performant machines as you can get, but when a developer doesn't index his/her table and thus do a serial scan, ....

Eddy

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Phil,

Have also a look at sappro.com/go/team. They have a bunch of technical tutorials, also for performance.

Eddy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marvina_boehm
Discoverer
0 Kudos

One thing you have to consider though, is your area of expertise. No one can know the entire system, so it's good to pick a "layer" to concentrate on.

As a first point, make sure the weekly EarlyWatch alerts are being generated. This takes a snapshot of a lot of performance data from your system, uploads it to SAP, then gives you a summary report back (in your Inbox on the Service Marketplace). The recommendations are fairly standard as they come from an automated system, but the point to OSS notes and other things to guide you through the corrective actions.

As far as the "layers", consider OS, Database, or Application as three areas to focus on.

- From an OS perspective, focus on memory usage, I/O (disk) access, CPU utilization, and the number of work processes.

- From a database perspective, check the most common ratios, and also check the cursor cache stats in ST04 for the "worst" statements.

- From an application perspective, focus on online transactions with high response time and long-running background jobs.

Of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg, but it's a couple places you can dig into right away.

Marvin

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls check service.sap.com/performance for this.

Eddy