cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to setup DR server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I plan to setup a DR site for my PRD server with Oracle 10g database on Sun Solaris 10 for ECC 6.0.

Can any guide me with the steps to be performed to setup DR server?

Regards,

Ankita.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

vince_laurent
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I can't recommend 'Oracle Data Guard' by Bipil Kumar (Rampnat Press) enough. I have used it to set up 4 DG environements and all the monitoring. Good stuff in the book.

-vince

0 Kudos

Ankita,

Check with your hardware vendors. Depending of your budget and platforms, you may have different options:

EMC: SRDF: you synchronize your disk storage system from your standby site with your disk storage system from your production server, then when your production fails, you shutdown your PRD, start your DR, and then repoint to the standby site with DNS (floating address) or network switch (eg: F5)

Oracle: Dataguard (you synchronize your standby database site with your production database server, then when your production fails, you repoint to the standby site with DNS or network switch (eg: F5)

SUN: The Sun Cluster Geographic Edition

Sunguard: Contact them, they have multiple solutions.

Also, check if you can build your own DR startegy (for budget reason):

Let's say you have 2 data centers (A and B) where you use virtualization. Site A hosts your SBX, DEV and QA. Site B your PRD. (you need to have at least the same capacity on site A that you have on site B).

You can build yourself some scripts to copy from site B your backup file, and your offline logs to your site A.

when your production system crash, you shut it down. On your site A, your scripts shutdown your virtual partitions, and build "production like partitions", Then restore your PRD on site A, and repoint to the standby site with DNS or network switch (eg: F5)

Also, build a DR plan with your infrastructure and busines team. Ask those questions:

What are the touchpoints? What is the value of a DR plan if you do not fail back the systems feeding your SAP systems (eg: legacy systems), or front end (eg: web site)?

What business process do you need to keep up and running if you fail over to DR (what minor business process cost too much to fail over)?

Best regards.

Frank Markarian

SAP America

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Frank

I am planing to use the oracle data guard for DR setup

My setup is SAP 4.7 with oracle 9.2 on AIX

If you have any step for setup DR on remote location with oracle data guard.

I tried but i was stuck. I have some questions please help me resolve this

1. The db_name of primary and standby database required different or same.

2. what would be setting required to do in listnener.ora and in tnsnames.ora file on both server

I copied all mount point from primary server to standby server and made the changes in init<SID>.ora, listnere.ora and tnsnames.ora file. After that i create the control file on primary database and copied to standby database.

After that when i start the primary database in mount mode it was started but when i tried to start the standby database with following command " alter database mount standby database;' i got the error message as follows

Error : ORA-01103: database name VCP in controlfile is not 'STANDBY'

Please give suggestion on this

Regards

Vishal Kalekar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Your error below

I copied all mount point from primary server to standby server and made the changes in init<SID>.ora, listnere.ora and tnsnames.ora file. After that i create the control file on primary database and copied to standby database.

After that when i start the primary database in mount mode it was started but when i tried to start the standby database with following command " alter database mount standby database;' i got the error message as follows

Error : ORA-01103: database name VCP in controlfile is not 'STANDBY'

Solution for that :

You have to use below command for creating standby controlfile

alter database create standby controlfile as 'D:\cntrlSTDBY.dbf';

Then copy this standby controlfile to DR server ...

regards,

Pravash Raikar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I created the Secondary standby database instance same SID as my Primary, Now my question

is how SAP clients will connect to this database in case of primary failure, How I will

create a SAP Service on this secondary instance.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When Primary server fails the standby server will function as Primary server. Database will be in status='OPEN'. After this start your SAP instance .You should now be able to use your system same as earlier Primary.

Note: Remember to apply SAPLicense on this..

regards,

Pravash Raikar

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ankita,

From the database point of view , you can create a Physical Standby Database.

The documentation is available step wise on OTN (Oracle Documentation)

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/create_ps.htm#SBYDB00426

From the SAP end, you simply need to keep a central instance installed on the server with the same parameters as your Production server.

You may have to develop some scripts for switching over your interfaces etc to point to your DR in case of a disaster.. but that is OS dependent.

Regards,

Siddhesh