cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS/MSS implementation steps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to install ESS MSS business packages in EP 6.0 with ECC 5.0 as the backend.. I heard that these are available as sda files.. Is just deploying them sufficient ?

Is JDI needed for the same ? Should i create webdynpro iviews.. ?

Are there any documents on the implementation steps !

Any help !

Regards

Bharathwaj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not so much "steps" but here is what you will need...

ASSUMPTION

-EP 6.0 NW04 or higher installed

-backend is mySAP ERP 2004 (ECC 5.0)

What you will need to do....

(1) install XSS Java components (look for document "JAVA_COMP_ECC50_SR1.pdf" that covers this quite well, as does the link mentioned before). "Where" you install these is a question too...they "can" be installed on the portal, but typically on the backend.

(2) for ESS, download and import the business packages needed for the portal. Now, there ARE two to consider...

-Business Package for Employee Self-Service (mySAP ERP 2004) (release 60.2)

This one will give you the ESS services that are available as Java Webdynpros. NOTE: Not all previous ESS services have been ported over to webdynpros. Therefore, you may still need the previous ITS services to meet you needs and these ITS services are not part of this package.

-Business Package for Employee Self-Service 4.6C - 4.7 (release 50.4)

This one contains all the ESS ITS-based services. As mentioned, you may need this because not all services have been re-written as webdynpros. Also, there are a handful of Java JSP/servlet services in this package...mostly around time entry.

(3) For MSS, it's the same as ESS...you will need the Webdynpro package but also the previous Java JSP/servlet package. Additionally, there are some support packs for the previous MSS package that you will need.

(3) On the backend, make sure you have installed the SAP ECC 5.0 Human Resources Extension (EA-HR 500). This will install the webdynpros themselves.

(4) Follow the configuration guides (help.sap.com) to set everything up!

(5) Keep in mind too, you will need a user(s) mapped to employee(s), portal configuration of system information (setting up system object, assigning aliases, etc), and such to get everything working once the "wiring" has been done.

Viola! Have fun with ESS/MSS for mySAP ERP 2004!

Now as far as screenshots...well, I am still collecting those myself. haha

Message was edited by: Christopher Solomon

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As always I'm fooled by the details....

I have installed BP ESS/MSS on EP6 on WAS 6.40 SP13.

Working on system and JCO connections. Having problems with Jco. System Landscape Dir will not communicate with backend. RFC connection failed. Gateway problems ?

SO :

- I'm not able to find JAVA_COMP_ECC50_SR1.pdf ! Where is it ? Mail me ? Is it relevant for my version ?

- The XSS components ? Is this the same as ESS 100/MSS 100 ? When backend is ABAP only, how can they be installed there ?

regards

Alexander Moan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shubam,

That was a very informative link ! I am importing these sda files.I have to test them. Are they available as iviews in EP portal content once we import.. that s good!

Why do i need ITS ..Will this not suffice..And assuming i go with the old ESS MSS business packages will they work with ITS ..even if ECC is the backend ?

Abt logon tickets ! I can import portal s verify.der and put it in ACL of ECC ..will the same transaction strustsso2 work ?

Regards

Bharathwaj

Message was edited by: Bharathwaj R

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bharatwaj,

In ECC 5.0 or ERP 2004, SAP supports ITS based ESS also for obvious reasons.

For WebDynpro based ESS Services you don't need ITS. Its needed for few services that are still not converted to WebDynpro. Please check the ESS Notes for the few services that were not converted.

However in MSS there are many services that were not converted to WebDynpro. So for those services that were not converted you will need ITS.

The new WebDynpro based services uses WebDynpro iView in portal and hence are different from those ITS based.

However if you are planning to use ITS based services in ECC 5.0, you can continue using the same Business Package.

About logon tickets even I am not very sure. But I feel it should work.

Regards,

Shubham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

That was nice of u ! I am not able to get my hands on a ECC test system..so just trying to get the screens of Webdynpro iviews... !

For my requirement, Seems like i need ITS nevertheless !

Thanks .. will get back to u if i have trouble !

Regards

Bharathwaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bharatwaj,

Yes there are 3 sca available in Service Marketplace for ESS and MSS. The path is

service.sap.com->Software Download->SAP Application Components->SAP ERP->SAP ERP 2004->SAP XSS.

Here You can find there latest patches for ESS, MSS and PCUI_GP.

You can deploy these on your J2EE server. Then you need to create the systems in the portal and configure the JCO.

Here is the link that explains the same.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/38/e8584c2a664547b60442646bee23b6/frameset.htm

JDI is needed if you want to change the ESS Applications. You don't need to create and iViews as SAP delivers standard iViews for all of its services.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Regards,

Shubham