Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB and LiveCache installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Tying to install LiveCache 7.7 part SCM 5.1 = SCM 2007

I am trying to install liveCache on SuSE 10(Linux) with MaxDB. I would like to know that if I need to install MaxDB before I install the Livecache server using sapinst? Please advice!

I thought sapinst should ask for MaxDB file during the sapinst process? I started the with sapinst without installing MaxDB and now I am on the steps (Intance parameters) --> I checked Volume Medium type as Raw Devices --> Clicked on Next, I entered /sapdb as raw devices according to SAP Inst manual I click on NEXT and I got this error message: Selected item is not a valid Raw Device: /sapdb. SOLUTION: Select a valid raw device?

Please someone tell me what is exactly valid RAW Device?

Thanks in Advance

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First: the MaxDB IS the liveCache

You have been doing right till now.

a RAW device is a device (a harddisk) that has no filesystem. So you don´t give a mount point but the device of the disk. On Linux this is e. g. /dev/raw/raw1.

If you´re not familiar with setting up and handling raw devices I suggest you select (file system) and give two different filesystems on two different disks - one for the log area (which is asked first) and second for the data.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for you Kind reply. "First: the MaxDB IS the liveCache :)" this make lots of sense now,

but tell me this. why sap never mention these on the their installation Manual?

Thanks

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Quick question with following above questions, how many data Volume is recommend? is 2 is good enough? and size?

Thanks again

Kumar

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well... I don´t know.. because it´s "well known"? I have no clue.

A livecache is a MaxDB database with a specific peculiarity to become object oriented, means, there will be extensions installed to enable the database to work with "objects" rather than only with relational tables. The handling of the database, the technical background - everything is the same.

See https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/livecache

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The number of data volumes should be the same number of disks you use.However, this may vary depending on the storage system behind. As a rule of thumb this can be good. If you are e. g. using a SAN system with 48 disks and your livecache will have an estimated size of 16 GB (according to the sizing you hopefully made before), you should distribute that 16 GB across the 48 disks. This will enable the database to write in parallel.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

I have one more questions regarding liveCache and SCM. I have installed SCM and liveCache successfully. I would like to know to which user to use to connect to liveCache Server? during the SCM installation, sapinst created username called: LCUSER, which shows up in the dbco transaction? is this mean we need to create this user in the liveCache Server? or else we can use the control user that was created by liveCache Server?

Thanks in Advance

Kumar

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kumar,

-> Please follow up the liveCache installation guide. If the liveCache was installed, there are also post installation steps.

-> Please run as superdba user SQL statement :

select * from users

to list all users in liveCache.

-> The LCUSER < or standard liveCache user > is DBA type user, and it's the owner of the liveCache application tables. Please check in LC10 -> Integration for LCA/LDA/LEA connections if you set the DBM user - control & liveCache user correctly. You could also test connections in /ndb59.

-> For SAP liveCache documentation please see the SAP note 767598.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Natalia.

Kind of little confusing now. let me get this straight. please bear with me, since this is the first I am dealing with liveCache.

LCUSER -> Do not exists in the liveCache Server

on t-code: LC10, LCA/LDA/LEA, I beleive your saying that I should put the dbm user: control for Connection LCA/LDA/LEA in for username in the t-code: LC10?

my questions would be? where do we exactly using the user LCUSER?

Thanks in Advance

Kumar

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kumar,

-> Please run /nLC10 -> set LCA -> click on Integration

=> You will get the screen where you could see the User Data settings.

You have to set the DBM user & Standard liveCache user <LCUSER> with the passwords

correctly. To run the liveCache application you have to connect first from the application

as the LCUSER.

-> Please logon to the liveCache server as user in the 'sdba' group & run :

dbmcli -d <LC-name> -u control,<pwd>

<enter>

dbmcli on <LC-name>>db_state

< if the liveCache is offline =>next step, skip it if it's already 'online' >

dbmcli on <LC-name>>db_online

dbmcli on <LC-name>>sql_connect superdba,admin

dbmcli on <LC-name>>sql_execute select * from users

dbmcli on <LC-name>>sql_release

dbmcli on <LC-name>>exit

-> Please follow up the liveCache installation guide. If the liveCache was installed, there are also post installation steps.

-> For SAP liveCache documentation in English < See the SAP note 767598 >:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b6/cbdda6248ff648ae9f39f8e28eb24f/frameset.htm

-> Database Administration in CCMS: SAP liveCache Technology

-> liveCache Assistant

-> Integration

-> <User Data>

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina