Xmii Daylight Saving and OLEDB UDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I have a problem with my OLEDB UDS connection to PI

I am using Xmii OLEDB UDS version 4.0.2.5 to connect to pi

Java version : 1.4.2.07

SAP Xmii version 11.5

After moving into daylight savings period on october 28th @ 2:00am our data is out by an hour.

(all of the data below was taken at 6:30am)

TAG DATE TIME VALUE ...

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 24-Oct-2007 06:30:00 6998.15 --- 0.00

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 25-Oct-2007 06:30:00 6507.75 --- 0.00

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 26-Oct-2007 06:30:00 6313.29 --- 0.00

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 27-Oct-2007 06:30:00 6277.06 --- 0.00

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 28-Oct-2007 05:30:00 5682.10 --- 0.00

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 29-Oct-2007 05:30:00 5073.77 --- 0.00

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 30-Oct-2007 05:30:00 4855.63 --- 0.00

50210-LI-QVY-2101.01D-00 31-Oct-2007 05:30:00 5360.67 --- 0.00

This only occurs when dat is queried through Xmii (via the UDS)

Runningthe same query using the pi-snapin for mmc OR using the PI test tools gives me the correct data (all @ 6:30)

It looks like the UDS does not adjust corrrectly for daylight savings

I have updated java using the timzone updater and tried almost everything I can think of to fix this.

by a process of elimination we have come to the conclusion that the UDS is the problem

Can you tell me :

1) is there a newer version of the OLEDB UDS available ??? (I tried to download this from the marketplace but it was not there)

2) what else can i try to fix this issue ???

Moving the timexone of the computer to GMT +9 to allow for daylight makes data correct after october 28th but wrong before October 28th

any help and/or idea would be greatly appreciated

Edited by: Chris Gray on Jan 14, 2008 7:57 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

here is the link to the java forum where they found the issue.

Java pick the wrong control set.

also 11.5 sp3 is recommended on the server to be 1.4.2_13 and it has the bug.

xmii 12 can use some 1.5 version, but some version are not recommended, I remember reading about it, but I don't have 12 and am not planning to upgrade in the next year, so I did not care to remember it.

It would be nice if the xMII development team would do a sp4 with a later version of Java, but for now it is wait and see.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andy

I knew about the java issue, but going back down that path led to the solution !!!

The java timezone updater tool needs to be applied

http://java.sun.com./javase/tzupdater_README.html

What I didnt realise what that this needs to be applied to ALL JRE instances on the box.

The default (and only) option for the tool is to run against a single instance.

You have to copy the tzupdater file to each instance and re-run it

My JRE was updated but my SDK wasnt

This worked for me, hope it works for you too

"magically" daylight savings is now correctly handled - it has only taken me about 2 weeks to work this out but hey , got there in the end

Thanks everyone for your help.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

All versions of Java 1.4.x seem to have this problem

They claim it was fixed in 1.4.2_13 but I still have it.

Sun now claims it is fixed in 1.5

But until SAP/xMII support says it OK to upgrade Java, I am just manually changing the time zone in the execservlet file.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Firstly - thank you all for your replies

We are in perth Australia, which is new to daylight savings (we previously didnt have it, until last year)

If I understand you all correctly you are syaing that this is a java issue

We originally thought this to - however if this was the case then wouldn't all queries form all sources be incorrect? i.e. I can run a query from SQL server and it works fine.

Is there any way to confirm that this is a java issue?

one of the biggest problems i have had with this issue is exactly that - identifying the exact cause.

Manually changing the timezone only moves the problem, it doesnt fix it.

I need help to resolve this, if it IS a java issue can I upgrade to 1.5 ? do SAP/Xmii support defnitely say this can't be done ???

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Quick assertions:

- I'm assuming that the PI server, the UDS and xMII (Server or Vertual Server) are all in the same timezone. (This includes the same daylight savings rules).

- I'm assuming that the PI server has been updated to apply the correct timezone rules (I don't know if your area changed its timezone rules like the US did).

- I'm assuming that the Windows 2000/2003 Server you are running the UDS from has any and all the daylightsavings updates.

The issue you are seeing could be due to the daylight saving changes. I would recommend using the 1.4.2.13 JDK. Beyond this, the UDSs have been extensivly tested to correctly manage daylight saving correctly and upgrading.

Another point of interest is that the October 28 timezone shift happened in Europe and your buisness card says you are in New Zeland, where the shift happens September or March. I would guess that there is a timezone conflict on one of your machines <see assertion #1>.

Martin.

0 Kudos

Chris,

Is the xMII server and the UDS server in the same time zone? If not then you have to set the TZOffset value in the xMII Data Server configuration for the UDS connection.

Also, there will be a newer version of the OLEDB UDS available in the near future on SMP so keep your eyes open for that.

Sam

Edited by: Salvatore Castro on Jan 14, 2008 10:20 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam

Thanks for the reply

They are in the same timezone, but I would like to try your solution anyway. I didnt know there was a TZOffset I could set.

would this setting need to be enabled only during daylight savings ???

As mentioned I have tried setting the java timezone to Duser.timezone=GMT+9 - instead of +8 but this only moves the problem to non daylight savings periods.

Whereabouts is this setting and how do i modify it ???

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sam,

You are mistaken, there is no TZOffset setting for the UDSs, the setting only applies to Virtual Server connections.

Martin.

0 Kudos

Chris,

Sorry about that to lead you astray the TZOffset is part of the data server configuration for Virtual Servers only and not the UDS connections. Martin is correct in stating that it's probably a JRE issue.

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam

you mentioned that a new version fo the OLEDB UDS will be available in the near future, do you have any idea when that might be ??

The reaosn i ask is that our UDS is crashing randomly (luckily not very often) and we thought a new version might fix this

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos

Chris,

Unfortunately I can't be specific about that other than to say that it will be soon.

As for the "random crashing"...it may appear to be random but there is a definite reason why. Check the Windows Event Viewer to see the specific UDS error message that is ultimately bringing it down. Once you isolate the error message create another thread about how to resolve it.

Hope this helps.

Sam