cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to one application from many external users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Howdy

How can I access an application from outside SAP in the best way? I only want to use ONE login for all users and only ONE instance of my applikation.

I may have ten or more external (web) users that should communicate with my application (running in background???)

Do I need a portal, or can it be done through BSP, RFC or Wb Dynpro (ABAP) directly?

Flemming

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver

Thank you for trying to answer my "strange" question... It seems from your answer that sap cannot handle leightweight threads from within an application, because applications are not reentrant, i guess...

I think I will try to allow multiple instances of my application to run - communicating through shared memory or tables...

Flemming

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Oliver

Thanks again! My web pages are generated as BSP at the moment on the NW 7.0.

If I define a generic abap user in SICF, does it mean that two or more users calling my webpage will only result in ONE instance of my application? Or will I have one instance per user?

Is it better to use an external web server which calls RFC functions in the SAP backend ?

Flemming

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

>

> If I define a generic abap user in SICF, does it mean that two or more users calling my webpage will only result in ONE instance of my application? Or will I have one instance per user?

You will, of course, get one instance per user. Otherwise it would mean that multi user BSP applications would be impossible !

If you need a single instance of your single user application, you have to code this restriction your self.

why don't you test all of this on your server ?

> Is it better to use an external web server which calls RFC functions in the SAP backend ?

This question has no meaning. There is never an absolute better way of doing things.

It always depend from the specific context from YOUR company which I don't know.

For what it's worth, we use both these technologies in MY company, each one for different purposes and reasons.

PS : your questions are very strange...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver

Once more thanks...

I have already programmed my application - it generates web pages AND I also want it to respond to RFC.

YES, I only want one generic user (like guest), and my application controls authority, security etc....

Flemming

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Flemming,

I still don't understand what is your problem and your specific question.

If you already wrote your application you must have thought before about the authentication method ?

You did not tell the technology used for web access.

specific on a external web server which calls RFC functions in the SAP backend ?

BSP or abap web dynpro directly published by SAP ICM ?

If you use the SAP ICM, you can define a generic abap user in SICF.

If external server, you can define also a generic user where you define the RFC calls parameters.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver

Thank you for answering...

My application is homemade in NW 7.0, and I want it to be called from either the web or a (homemade) visual basic program.

I only want ONE instance of the application to be active at any one time by using only ONE login for the users.

Hope this clarifies my need?

Flemming

Former Member
0 Kudos

Flemming,

This is not yet very clear.

I don't understand if the specific application already exists or if you are investigating on how to program it.

Because if the application is already existing, you shoulsd already know wether it is using visual basic or web...

You want ONE login for all your users.

Does this mean that you want to use a generic abap user ?

If yes, it is possible but it is safe only for a display only application. Otherwise you could not control the authorizations and who did what.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have to clarify your need and your question.

I may be very dumb but I did not understand anything...

Which application are you talking about ? standard ? specific ?

Which technology is you application ?

what do you call SAP ? R/3, ECC, CRM, PI, SRM, etc... ?

Regards,

Olivier