Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUA - pros & cons

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our security team would like to have two instances of CUA. One for all production systems and another one for non-production systems. They need on separate instances, not separate clients. What is the norm? I normally create a separate client for CUA and configure. If we need 2 instances then how to size the hardware? or there any guide lines?

From the Basis perspective what are the pros and cons of CUA in general and having two separate CUA instances in particular. I know extra efforts are involved in system refreshes. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sam

3 REPLIES 3

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

In my expirience with CUA you don't need to create a new system per each CUA, you can for example create a new client in your ECC production system that controls all prod. systems (BI, SRM, etc...) and then create a new client in your ECC QA system for all the DEV and QA systems.

Pros - once is properly configured, user maintainance and control is much easier, reduce drastically the basis overhead created by creating accounts in each system, password resets, users locked...etc..

Cons - Not cons as long as the CUA is properly configured. just be carefull when configuring the RFC's using the Logical names of the systems.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

you do not need another instance (and of course you won't need 2 of them). actually i think you need nothing that you do not already have ... do you use a solution-manager for applying hotpackages and such? you could easily setup your CUA on the SolMan thus adminstrating the users in your whole landscape. If you have J2EE-systems included things could get a bit more difficult, but not so much as maintaining 2 more instances (on one or more machines).

pros and cons: exactly as Juan wrote.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have CUA for each landscape DEV, QA & PROD. PROD is very similar to QA.

Our environment is stable and now got it to a science. Solution Manager is NOT in a CUA. The only people requiring access to Solution Manager are the project team and not the general user population. I have about 37K users and would not like those accounts in Solman.

PROs - is awesome when configured correctly. I have thousands for users in ECC 6.0, SRM 5.0 & BI 7.0 in CUA and future modules such as HR, Payroll, ESS coming soon.

CONs - complex and requires a lot of planning and making sure your nightly security jobs run.

Edited by: John Navarro on Jan 14, 2008 10:14 PM