Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating account hierarchies in MDM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I consider using SAP MDM for the following purpose:

I have an account hierarchy that I want to maintain in MDM. There should be an account hierarchy for "profit and loss" (incl. EBIT, Sales, Orders etc.) and one for the "balance sheet" (incl. Assets and Liabilities). The hierarchy shall contain all subaccounts and how they add up to the totals.

- can I create such an account hierarchy in MDM?

- esp. (how) can I maintain the calculating information, how the subaccounts aggregate to the sumaccounts?

- can I use this hierarchy in SAP NW BI and automatically calculate the totals (when I import the corresponding (quantitative) key figure data?)

Best regards, Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Is there a way to classify fields as "calculated fields"? And I could then classify the mathematical operations (+, -, * or /) as well?

yes. If you are creating a field in the console, for a particular repository, in a table.

for that field --> In the field detail tab --> you have options like

Caluculated field . you can select Yes / No.

Caluculation: if you select caluculated field as Yes, you can write the caluculation in a popup ( Caluculated field expression),

in that expression dialog box, you will find operators like:

+ -, - , * , &, <, > , <=, >=, true , false, and , OR etc.,

hope this may help you,

regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

I think that answers pretty much my question. Thanks a lot!

Have a good weekend, Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

I have doubts about using calculated fields for calculating totals. As I understood you want to keep and calculate subtotals of transactional data which is changed over time. SAP MDM is about keeping master data and I dont find it convenient for your purpose. But you are still able to keep hierarchical structures in MDM, which is designed for this.

As for using these hierarchies in SAP NW BI, afaik there is no direct mechanism to upload formulas into BW. If you developed a processor module (formula analyzer) on BW side which would analyze formulas and rules, you would be able type your formulas into simple Text fields on MDM side and then this module would convert this text into BW formulas. But this is just an idea, and very time consuming one.

Regards,

Vadim Kalabin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

thanks for your response. Hm, I am not quite sure if I understand that correctly.

As I wrote, I intend to create account hierarchies for Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet statements (for financial controlling purposes). The reason I want to do this in SAP MDM is that we have several different IT systems with varying account names and aggregation levels. These aacounts somehow have to be referenced so that for example the EBIT in one system returns the same as the EBIT in another system (given that the data in the different systems is the same).

In most cases I should simply be able to use simple sums to calculate the results.

Still, it would be great if I could also use other mathematical operations than sum (+). I was told that I can do that with "calculated fields". Now it would be interesting, if I want somehow export this information to BW. Simply exporting an account hierarchy that only uses sums, should be possible.

At this point if I wonder I can create such a hierarchy (with mathematical operations other than sum ) in BW. But that is a different issue that I discuss in a different forum.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Daniel

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

U may also want to go thru this weblog:

[/people/community.user/blog/2008/01/18/enterprise-dimension-management-edma-mdm-approach]

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

you can create the hierarchy ( accounts ) in the Taxonomy tables.

you can do the caluculation, if you maiantain the particular field as calulated filed.

hope this may help you,

Regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

thanks for you quick reply!

Is there a way to classify fields as "calculated fields"? And I could then classify the mathematical operations (+, -, * or /) as well?

Best regards, Daniel