cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Waiting for output formatter"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Printing to network printers through a spool server has stopped working. Local front end printing still works fine but anything sent to one of the network printers waiting for spool server with the status text "Waiting for output formatter". There are plenty of spool processes waiting and no errors. Its a system recently upgraded to ERP2005 but has worked since for a month.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hello All,

I know this is a old post but if someone is looking for the same issue this OSS note might help them.

SAP OSS note - 2033658 * Spools stuck in status "Waiting for output formatter

Regards,

BRV

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Message "Waiting for output formatter" usually means that the SPOOL process is not working or is not available for some reason, check SM50 to see why the SPO process is not running.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

The spool processes are waiting without any errors. One thing I have noticed in the spool system settings in SPAD the last spool scan on the spool server was yesterday just before the printing stopped.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> One thing I have noticed in the spool system settings in SPAD the last spool scan on the spool server was yesterday just before the printing stopped.

Hi Chris,

I don't think this is the reason. Can you please check the logs of the spool requests and post them here?

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Trying to look at the spool request log in SP01 but it hasn't produced any just says no log exists. Am I looking for the wrong log?

I do find it odd though that the last spool scan and the last spool activation run were just before it stopped. These seem to run quite regularly on our other systems.

Edited by: Chris Soden on Jan 10, 2008 11:45 AM

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Do you have the SPOOL cleaning job running? SAP have some limitations regarding the number of spool requests. Check SAP notes130978 and 16083

SAP_REORG_SPOOL should run daily in order to keep the spool system clean.

Also it might be good to do a consistency check on TEMSE

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

Spool process might be fine since front end printing is happening. Can you do one thing. Just check in SPAD the spool servers for the concerned printers. Is it correct spool server. Erroneous entries would be highlighted in red. Did any printer transport happen recently?

Regards.

Ruchit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problems solved now thanks for the help.

In SPAD all the spool servers were red saying they were passive spool servers. It looked like the dispatcher had lost contact with them. Last night we restarted SAP and its all working fine now. All the the jobs with the error printed and completed green after the restart.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good news.

Regards.

Ruchit.