Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-use of free space

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

after a large client delete or after important data archiving, does Oracle re-use new freed space into datafile ? ... we need to delete a large client and then copy e new mid-size client but we haven't a lot of free space in dev system.

Regards.

Ganimede Dignan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganimede,

After client deletion, it is always advisble to go for DB reorganization if you would like to reclaim the unused space post-deletion . Reorg would also help you icrease perfomance of the DB, as free spaces/ structural changes created due to deletion will also be rectified.

Regards,

Priyank.

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

where can I find documentation on Oracle DB reorganization ?

Regards.

Ganimede Dignan.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Read saP note 646681. I used it and was able to completely reorg my database.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ganimede,

>> after a large client delete or after important data archiving, does Oracle re-use new freed space into datafile ?

Oracle reuses the freed space inside the same segment. For example if you have freed space in table MSEG, you can reuse the allocated space only for table MSEG (=same segment).

For indexes its a little bit "special", because the freed space (in blocks) can only be reused if they are completely empty, because of the index must be sorted.

You can take a look at the ALL_TABLES on column AVG_SPACE to estimate the freed size in the tables (but take care, the values are only updated on statistic gathering):

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/statviews_2105.htm#i1592091

Regards

Stefan