cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Diff between Kernel & Basis Add-on?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

What is the difference between SAP Kernel & Basis Add-on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Krishna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

pradeepmathewch
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello all,

SAP kernal is nothing but a set of C/C++ codings that interact with the ABAP programs(In other words the SAP system) and the OS in which it is running.

(More specifically the OS of the application server)

SAP Kernal is sometihng like the heart of an SAP system.

SAP_BASIS component sits on top of SAP Kernal which is nothing but an ABAP Program(Eg is program that is coded to create the SE38 transaction).

I have never heard of somethng called as "Basis Add-on".

Till now, BASIS layer has only one software component and that is SAP_BASIS.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kernel: The central module of an operating system. It is the part of the operating system that loads first, and it remains in main memory. Because it stays in memory, it is important for the kernel to be as small as possible while still providing all the essential services required by other parts of the operating system and applications. Typically, the kernel is responsible for memory management, process and task management, and disk management.

Add-on: SAP offers a wide range of add-ons that you can use to enhance your standard SAP System. These add-ons can be Industry Solutions, plug-ins, or customer-specific development projects.

You can in general find these kind of defenitions in SAP library glossary

Regards,

Mathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mathan,

Thanks for your info. But I am asking diff. between SAP Kernel & SAP Basis Add-on?

Thanks,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the previous post was correct , Add-ons are like plugin's in java terms used to connect to new/other SAP products.

Kernel can be installed/upgrade only on the system/OS level.

Addon can be upgraded on the SAP system level.

thx,

aditi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Do you refer to PI_BASIS (Basis Plug-In, for example 2004_1_640) when you mention "Basis Add-on" or do you mean SAP_BASIS (SAP Basis component, for example SAPKB640xx)? It is not clear to me so far.

More general information is found SAP note #555060 (Overview: Notes on Add-On PI_BASIS), if so.

Regards, Mark