Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting volume of users who can access a transaction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can I ask some advise please?

Is it possible to restrict the amount of users who can access a transaction during a given period of time, other than removing their roles?

We are about to allocate our leave allocation and when we did this last year the number of people trying to logon, via the portal, to see their annual leave for the year ground the system to a halt.

I am exploring what we can do to try and avoid this happening again this year.

How do other compaies manage this process?

Any/all advice gratefully received - I don't want the stress levels of last year again!!!!

Thank you in advance.

Diane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems like it would be easier to implement this at the portal level, depending on how your portal interacts with SAP there may be a load balancing solution. Does your company have any other events where a large volume of portal connections are required (e.g. pay change notification)?

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

No you can not. the only control you have is to either remove roles and or make SAP not available for a number of users temporarely.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems like it would be easier to implement this at the portal level, depending on how your portal interacts with SAP there may be a load balancing solution. Does your company have any other events where a large volume of portal connections are required (e.g. pay change notification)?

0 Kudos

Alex

We have load balancing on the ITS servers but last year the number of users who tried to logon was double that of the concurrent number of users for the load balancing. Is there a way of setting the load balancing to allow no more that the maximum number its load balanced for?

We have staged pay change notifications according to grade so we don't experience this high load at any other time.

Thanks

Diane

0 Kudos

Hi Diane,

I've not got a clue, maybe someone on the ITS forum might have a suggestion

0 Kudos

Hello Dianne,

> ... maybe someone on the ITS forum might have a suggestion

I would recommend when asking the question that you mention which release you are on and whether this is an internal or external ITS.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Gents

Thanks to all who replied. I will post a message on the portals forum. Its a pity there wasn't an easy answer

Diane

0 Kudos

How do you know that "p121848" is a gent...?

0 Kudos

Lol Julius. p121848 no offence intended.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diane,

perhaps it works this way: create a new transaction with a report, that counts the amount of users who use transaction XYZ. If the number of users is below the maximum, then call transaction XYZ, else message to confirm.