cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syndicator Batch + ImportManagerBatch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

in our project we would like to syndicate the MDM data with BW. Is it possible to dump the output file on a different server and NOT in a local directory (on the MDM Server)? e.g. directly in a directory on the BW server?

Also with the ImportManagerBatch. Is it possible to get a flat file(e.g. excel sheet) from a different server and not a local directory?

And last but not least: Is it possible to automate a batchimport or batchsyndicate job? Without starting the process manually?

Thank you very much

Nico

Automate -> schedule a job

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

Can you not put the 200 commands in a single bat file? or in a set of bat files instead of having 200? May be you can group them by agency if you have a set of agencies that these files belong to.

My case is I have one bat file that does the daily archiving. On Windows, you got o Start>Programs>Accesssories>System>ScheduledTasks> and you add a task. For the added task, you have tabs to define the task, schedule, settings, security etc. SO, for example, in the task definition you can point it to the bat file located on your c drive. You can set passwords, what time it needs to execute and so forth.

In my case, I want to archive more than one repository so I use windows environment variable, and pass that as parameter to my bat file.

I have not tried to schedule import manager batch this way but I do not see why it should be different.

Good luck!

Thanks

Savi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Savi,

thank you ver much. That solved my problem.

Just one more question concerning the windows enviroment variable. Why do you need it in your case and how does it look like? How do you tell the MDM Console to archive your repository in a batch job?

Regards

Nico

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

In my case, say, I have a catalog for development ongoing, and a catalog where we practice conversions, and integration testing several times before productionization. The windows variable is defined so that I do not have to edit the bat file that has the archive command if I have to change my catalog name for any reason. All I have to change is the windows path level definition.

The bat file contains a single archive command that looks like:

clix\clix cpyarchive localhost %variable defined%databasename:o:login:password

This is run on the server machine itself. There could be more options but I am not aware or using them.

Finally, I use import manager batch for conversions to build the catalog.

Best regards

Savi

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use a windows scheduler using environment variables to run your bat file at a certain time of the day. That is how I do daily archiving of a repository.

You can write bat files for both syndicaor and import manager batch commands. The map of import manager is tied to AGENCY, repository, and source file. Justpoint to source file location wherever it exists.

The map of syndicator is tied to AGENCY, repository, and I think the type of source file. If it is XML type, point to the location of xsd or create XML schema in the repository.

Are you facing issues with executing batch commands?

Good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Savitri,

that is very helpful. So let me make that clear again. Wenn I have 200 Flat files then I will also need 200 bat files which are different in their command lines (starting the importmanagerbatch with agency etc.)

Now: what kind of environment variable do I have to define and where can enter the settings for the windows schedular to tell the system: Execute once a day my 200 bat files. ?

Thank you for your help

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

As long as the file on a different server has been mapped to the machine that you trigger both import manager and syndicator batch, you can retrieve data from and syndicate data to the different servers.

As for full automation, I think you can creat bat file to do that. However, you need to execute the file.

What OS platform are you running MDM?

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

first thank you for the answer. About the mapping. We thought about that before, too but we weren't quite sure if it will work. So now we are going to use this option.

We are running the MDM server on a Windows 2003 server.

About full automation: We wrote a bat file to avoid writing the total command line. But still we also want to avoid manually starting the process. Isn't there a tool to schedule several jobs like that?

Isn't there a process chain where we can just trigger this job?

The thing is, we have about 200 flat files which have to be loaded once a day into the repository. Nobody wants to start 200 bat files manually.

Thanks again for the answers

Nico