Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brainstorming on master data management concepts

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear MDM community,

In this thread, I'd like to collect your thoughts, feedback, and wishes regarding master data management today and in the future. Please communicate your feedback on MDM and ideas on MDM concepts regardless of whether you think in processes, focus on specific object hubs, or prioritize concrete features and functions.

Looking forward to your posts,

Markus Ganser

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (23)

Answers (23)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A couple things...

1. Ability to add fields in workflow table. One of our clients wanted to attach documents to a workflow but currently we can't do that.

2. Ability to add/modify/delete value of a field based on validation of the same or a different field value. For example if I have fields F1 and F2, I might want to change the value of F2 based on true/false value returned by validation expression on F1.

-Y

Former Member
0 Kudos

Couple of items for consideration...

1. Relationship tables should allow configuration of additional metadata about the relationship. Some business scenarios might include a customer-specific "Active Date" for a product transition.

2. Relationship data should be available for syndication

3. Syndicator should support language selection for maps like the Data Manager Export process does. Also, Syndicator should support export of images, pdfs, etc. into file format similar to the Data Manager.

4. Tool should be modified to support "overrides" for all text and image or attachment fields based on some configurable grouping (like "Masks" for Trade Partners) in the same way that language overrides are applied. For example, by clicking on an "Override" tab, the user could select a particular Mask entry and then input override values for any attribute or field or image. This would be different than a qualified table that requires a managed list of possible values -- these overrides would be applied to open text.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on MDM.

My company is most interested in MDM for the PCM scenario: print catalogs and populating web-based catalogs (specifically, SAP CRM Web Shop catalogs).

Two enhancements that would make it an easy decision to migrate to MDM PCM:

(1) integration with R/3 Material Master Classification system - we store all "extended" material attributes in the R/3 classification system, and we need this information available in our catalogs

(2) tighter integration between MDM and CRM Catalogs: I understand that it may be possible to export catalogs from MDM and import into CRM, but explicit integration between these two products for this scenario would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

-Matt

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear contributers,

Thanks to all for the constructive feedback that has come in so far. Let's keep this channel open in 2006.

I'd like to wish you all a very happy holiday season and a great start to the new year.

Thanks, Markus

former_member181958
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I would put it in simple words - educate businesses on business front, not on technology front alone. There is no doubt MDM has got many powerful features and tecnological advancement and it is improving with each release. There is an imperative need to bring out and publicise the business benefits which MDM can offer. I am not talking about telling business how MDM help in giving technological edge to their business needs, what I am talking about is educating businesses how it can be useful to them from business stand point.

To be more specific - MDM can be made Industry specific. Just on the same lines as SAP has done for its age old and yet most successful product- R/3. Now R/3 is available in Industry specific Packaged solution. Bundled to cater specific business segments- Pharma, E&C, Power and many more.

This will also help business appreciate the powerful features of MDM and this will help making them decision to go for MDM.

Regards,

Pravin Bute

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

No doubt that MDM is a Great product but still needs to improve in a lot of areas. Though am a newbie, while working with the syndicator I came across an area of improvement.

<b>Can we we have the "Automap" function in the "Item Mapping" section of the Syndicator. Looking at the scenarios we can come across, it looks like for a huge number of source items to be mapped to the destination can be a painful task.</b>

I would be talking about MDM in the days ahead thought!!!

Cheers!

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our company finished an evaluation of MDM and so your thread is timely. Here are some of the opportunities for improvement we found at the time of the evaluation (SP2 at the time):

• Although we've already addressed this with SAP, we find it odd, as do other companies we discussed this with, that MDM -- the backbone of the NetWeaver stack -- is not powered by NetWeaver. This does not mean we won't use it as there are good reasons to not replatform, but it does pose an interesting question as to why Product Management doesn't run this tool on their own application platform.

• The MDM Product Suite is rather loosely coupled together. As another poster commented, I believe end-users would greatly benefit from a more coherent, tightly coupled user interface across the MDM Components (console, import manager, client, and syndicator).

• The matching/import capability didn't appear as robust as we thought one might need when comparing 100s of thousands of records. Is the ability to do fuzzy comparisons and reports available in future releases?

• I was glad to see that automation came about in SP3. This was a large GAP in SP2. We haven't had a chance to test it, but this is an absolutely must for large companies.

• Will/does MDM provide the ability to have global vs. local attributes?

• Hierarchical data management -- on multiple levels -- is a must as many R/3 Master Data maintenance screens currently allow this.

• We would like to see the validations done in an open language environment -- not sure why MDM chose a proprietary language here, but why not open it to Java or something the ESA community already knows?

• PCM does not have the ability to show which categories a product is assigned to (no one-to-many display). This could probably easily be fixed, and probably ought to be.

• Will the Portal-enabled maintenace in MDM reduce the high memory requirements for end-users? In our scenario, a machine with 1/2 GB of memory and a 2x2 server produced really poor performance (only importing 2k records).

Thanks for the opportunity to have input on the product.

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

I would like to see better security features and user administration features. For example, our company security policy for R/3 requires users to change their passwords every 40 days. In MDM, administrator has to enter password and user has no ability through client to change their password. Administrators usually set a generic password initially and the system forces the user to change it on the first login. MDM requires the user to reveal their password to the administrator so that it can be entered in the console. This is not good security practice.

The password is also good indefinitely. Their is not a way to define a password policy to change the password after n number of days.

Their is no password confirmation when entering a password in the console to ensure the accuracy of the password entered. Thus the administrator could mis-type the password in the password field and not know it because their was no confirmation required. Only enter it once.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

It'll be very useful if internal formats such as map file format or structure of repository(a2a) will be more transparent or can be generated and exported from/to XML-file structures.

Because manual design or change of repository with more than 60 tables is not attractive in manual mode, but if it generated from XSD simular to XSD of import XML source it is much more comfortable and conforms to modern fluences in DBMS products.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

it would be very convenient to have the possibility to export validations from one repository to another (e.g. "transport" of new validations between DEV, QA and PRO-system).

Additionally being able to mass import maps would be a good thing (in order to avoid the need to import all check table maps one by one when you connect a new client).

Third and last point:

Especially in a Central Master Data Management scenario it is important that the users can keep track of changes for a certain master data record in MDM (asking the users to search in audit logs for that piece of information does not seem a good idea to me).

Looking forward to see MDM evolve further in the future.

Regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

In addition to suggested features I would add duplex data exchange for Import Manager and Syndicator:

- on the stage of Import some XML file with Import status is generated and placed to preconfigured directory to be processed by MDC.

- on the stage of Syndication XML file with Syndication status(e.g. status is generated on the base of IDOC processing logs from R/3) is placed to preconfigured directory by MDC to be processed (and displayed right after the syndication) by Syndicator or custom tool.

These features could add more flexibility in developing more "automated" scenarios and greatly facilitate errors tracking in MDM processes.

Thanks & Regards,

Andrey

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your feedback.

Now, Support Package 03 (Windows version) for SAP NetWeaver MDM 5.5 is available at the Software Distribution Center. Among other things, this edition features new components for inbound and outbound automation. An overview of the major enhancements is provided in the Release Notes at http://www.service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_FRAME=CONTAINER&_OBJECT=011000358700006806672005E.

Kind regards,

Markus

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Since I have received several questions about the availability of SP 03, here is a hint for <b>MDM customers</b> on how to download the software from the SAP Software Distribution Center (http://service.sap.com/swdc):

The following path should work MDM customers:

Select <i>Download -> Installations and Upgrades -> Search for Installations and Upgrades</i>, and then, enter search term <i>MDM</i>.

On the results list, click <i>SAP MDM 5.5</i>, and then <i>Installation -> Downloads</i>.

Or alternatively:

<i>Download -> Installations and Upgrades -> Entry by Application Group -> SAP NETWEAVER -> SAP MDM -> SAP MDM 5.5 -> Installation -> Downloads</i>.

Regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marcus,

I am a new user in MDM community. Can you send me some useful weblogs / technical editorials which can help me starting with MDM. Are there any weblogs which tell about how to install MDM and start working with it.

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Satyendra,

I'd recommend you to browse the Weblog area by topics, and search the <i>Master Data Management</i> weblogs top-down (https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/weblogs/topic/14). In most cases you can tell by the title whether the given blog is very techie-oriented or more on an overview (conceptual) level.

Generally, there is a plenty of Weblogs about MDM 5.5. (including links to further information sources), covering both conceptual and detailed features and functions level.

Hope this helps,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

On our eCommerce web site we provide our customers a personalized view of products which the user maintains online.

We are unable to implement a master/slave architecture because we require a single table within our slave repository to have read/write access. All of the remaining tables are read-only.

What would assist us in our scenerio is a property on the table level to allow for a table to be excluded from synchronization in master/slave mode.

Anup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When using the COM in C#, all of the input parameters are required since no method overloads exist. This is very painful. In VB the optional keyword exists, for now, so the issue does not exist.

Example:

[VB .NET]
     catalog.Login("MyServer", 2345, "usr", "pwd", "English [US]")

[C#]
     catalog.Login("MyServer", 2345, "usr", "pwd", "English [US]", 1, 10, 600);

We have created our own wrapper which overloads methods that we use, but as new versions are released, we have to maintain this class to conform with new method signatures.

Anup

Former Member
0 Kudos

The following items where show stoppers for my customer regarding further use of MDM as a book database.

I see the need for following improvements:

1. GUI, my customer works with book data with around 160 fields per book. There is need to be able to group fields in the main table and based on this have tabs to select which group you are working with. This is possible using web interface, but the web is not good enough for their work.

2. It would be convenient to keep the AutoID, created date etc for one of the records when you merge records in the client.

3. I need calculated fields in look up tables.

4. When an import records it is possible to check out the record, the problem is that the check out is done after the import. Therefore I am not able to do QA in the client on imported records.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

When we play with Import Manager, for example in the Import Status if its says some of the field or field value not mapped properly[defective], then when we select the MAP FIELDS/VALUES <b>it should highlight the field which is defective.</b>

Will come up with few more soon.

thanks

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus & MDM community

SAP MDM is an awe-inspiring product. It’s a tremendous tool with features of revealing, cost-effective, flexible and easy-deployment.

Here are some remarkable key points about this intensifying Product…

1.Easy Configurations.

2.Comfortable Installations.

3.Various utility functionalities like cleanse, Merge, de-duplication…

4.Transfer object from one R/3 to other R/3 with minimal effort.

5.Step-by-step process visibility from MDC – Import Manager – Client – Syndicator and back to MDC.

6.Simple workflow mechanism.

Here I would strongly suggest the following enhancements / developments

1.Visibility to the XML files which has been loaded into Import manager at Import manager level.

2.Default status indicator for the object that has been already syndicated or not.

3.Undo Option in the MDM Client.

4.User Logon Information at MDM client level. ( Who are all currently logged in.)

MDM overall has a great potential to become an integration, storage, efficient and user friendly data hub.

Thanks

Alexander

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This is only to assure you that although I am not able to comment on every individual post, all input is highly appreciated. This thread is checked on a regular basis to collect your thoughts.

Thanks to all so far.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another missing feature is the ability to capture repository table schemas as an exported spreadsheet (or other format). This is needed to satisfy systems documentation requirements.

It would also be useful to be able to export import and syndication mappings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Russell,

If by "export import and syndication maps" you mean exporting these maps to files and re-importing them in another repository or for another client system in the same repository, then this is currently possible.

There is an option in the Syndicator/Import Manager to export the syndication/import map that is currently open.

It's in the File menu.

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone:

I do like a lot MDM and I'm studying it actively, I do see some room for improvement on:

• Cloning fields on import mapping, it's quite unstable sometimes

• Syndication directly to data source, as with import, syndication should connect directly (as excel, JDBC, ODBC) and not only XML's or TXT

• An "standard" way to access the repositories, like JDBC, there's Java and COM support, but nothing standard.

• Simpler repositories, maybe without the "default" tables (images, pdf's etc)

Otherwise, it's fast (in usage and performance) and very, very useful.

Regards

Alejandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

The MDM product is – in my mind, amazing. But still needs enhancements in some areas, one of them being the consolidation area.

Many customers that I have met have commented on the issue of consolidation, matching and merging of data – Customers expect some kind of matching engine that helps to match between records from two or more sources. This matching engine should supply a probability of match between records based on the creation of matching rules, tokenizing, maybe even soundex and other clever matching techniques.

Charles

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for your feedback. You raised a very good point.

In fact, MDM is on the right way in this direction. The planned development roadmap ahead covers consolidation topics such as enhanced de-duplication with extended matching and merging capabilities, or definition of matching rules and strategies.

Thanks,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcus,

I'm aware that MDM has the capability o handling material, customer, vendors and employees. But how convenient is it to manage Chart of Accounts, G/L Accounts and other financial hierarchies ? Can we have a single point of contact for data creation for these objects/hierarchies too for global data management/creation ?

Any documentation/guidance on this will help me comment better on the MDM capabilities and limitaions.

Thanks & Regards,

Stan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Marcus and the MDM community,

first of all: thanks for letting us participate int his brainstorming process. I am working with and learning MDM since a couple of weeks and I am convinced that it is a great tool for master data management.

However, I realized some areas of necessary improvement:

- much better documentation of ImportManagerBatch and the ImportServer; especially the config-file flags...

- improved /HELP function for ImportManagerBatch: why is there this unusual pop-up window? And even worse: I have the feeling that not all content is properly displayed in this pop-up.

- some ability to control the ImportServer: is it running correctly? what is it doing currently, which ports/folders is it "watching", when will it process the next time; when was the last time? [since this information does not seem to be available at present...] and so on.

- support for MUCH LARGER imports: today, it's not easily possible to import files with, say 100.000 records, through ImportManager => crash

- navigation enhancements with relationships: currently, I could view all records which have a sibling relationship to some other [the anchor~] record. But I could not edit these siblings. What I would expect is that I can view/modify any of these records by simply double-clicking on them.

- I also think that a user really has to have the possibility to manage his/her own client password. also, a authentification through windows auth. would be usefull...

ok -- enough for now; if something else pops into my mind, I will continue

cheers,

martin

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks to all so far for your prompt and valuable input.

Let's keep the thread alive.

Thanks,

Markus

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

A nice blog on the MDM 5.5 concept has been posted:

/people/pravin.bhute/blog/2005/10/04/mdm-55-150-diversity-is-the-beauty

Looking forward to further input from you. Keep the ball rolling.

Regards,

Markus

Message was edited by: Markus Ganser

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a few more Markus-

Maintainence iviews that can extract validation expressions and run them before the manually entered record is saved.

A graceful way of logging exceptions generated during manualy entry either through data manager or ivews.

Import manager being able to enforce validation defined in data manager, unique constraints, and required fields defined in the console.

Import manager to be able to do partial imports and throw the ones that failed import into a log?

Thanks

Savi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I want to add something to what Savitri mentioned.

1.Import Manager while allowing partial imports, should maintain the log of which records are processed and should allow us to re-process the data.

2. Same with Syndicator. Maintain at a central place how many records were syndicated and also a way to re-syndicate them if needed.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

First of all, I should say its a simple and nice product which can do lot of things!!

But, I have the following things to say from myside,

1. Need a documentation ASAP for beginners to explore the tool easily.

2. Validation engine must be enhanced to handle complex validations.

3. Mapping should be more flexible. Any idea of having a robust mapping functionality like what we have in XI?

4. Program exits for better validations and mappings.

5. Enhanced syndication.

6. Communication between repositories: I can understand that this may be a performance issue. But, what happens to scenarios where my repositories want to share the common set of information?

7. Better & automated communication with EAI tools.

8. How about SSO for all client tools?

9. How about starting the client tools without specifying the repository and then log into a repository of my choice? This makes life easy as I need not start the client tools again and again.

10. Need enhanced log & Reports functionality.

I will come up with more and more later.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

MDM needs stronger Central Master Data Registration processes. Ability to generate identifiers based on business rules. Add Code exits to allow more complex validations and key generation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I support the suggestions.

In addition:

- integrated advanced normalization/matching/scoring

- limited access to certain fields so the user cannot edit all the fields but just one of them

- Undo option in Data Manager

Thx

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

These are some of things that I observed while working with MDM, and that come to my mind right now

SAP's MDM tool has out of the box functionality (modularized) for configuration of the repository, manual data entry, and data viewing, ETL functions, data extractions, and a nice API functionality. Some key highlights, with caveats where applicable, include,

1. Ease of config

2. Role based secutiry definitions (constraitns not possible on fields used in qualified look ups)

3. Low deployment efforts

4. API has functions that let you capture meta data in the absence of out of box meta data.

5. Masks for test sets

6. Syndicator as search, and extract tool, particularly easy if the output data format is XML

7. Import manager excelled for loads if you have clean data sets.

8. Validation expressions with moderate functionality

9. Import Manager batch useful during conversions (currently cannot parameterize the repository information)

There is a lot of potential for improvement and development:

1. Transport mechanism (similar to SAP) for migration of objects from say DEV to PRD environment

2. MDM modules need upgrade together (old console with new client or vice versa does not work)

3. Qualified tables that are multi-level deep

4. Enhancments to validation and calculation engines for aggregate functions, date based calculations, etc.

5. Cross record business validation within a table or across tables

6. More than one main table so that Master data as well as exceptions captured during integration can be stored in the same repository

7. Iviews that help maintain the data so that data manager does not need to be rolled out to end users

8. Table joins for tables within a repository or across 2 repositories using iveiws?

9. Server instability problems

MDM overall has a great potential to become an integration, storage, efficient and user friendly data hub.

Thanks

Savi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

First things first, its an excellent product. I love the speed at which the data is thrown back to the user even the no. of records is huge. This holds good, even if I am searching for data from EP as well.

Features of storing literature, documents, pictures for the products is too good.

I am sure this is the biggest thing that customers are looking for.

1. The users should be able add/modify/edit records from an EP front end rather than loggin on to the client.

2. I would expect most of the functionalities that the MDM client would give to be on the EP so that they do NOT have to log into multiple system for data synchronization.

3. The user management also should be integrated with the UME of the EP.

4. I can understand the way MDM has been designed especially around the repository structures as it comes from a catalog management background. The difference is here we are dealing data as individual tables rather than like the way SAP deals as an object without really bothering about the individual tables. This could be a good thing / bad thing depending on which background the user / data modeller is coming from.

5. Coming from a technical stand point, as the current architecture is not in line with the NetWeaver arch, do we have plans to change the architecture to align with the NetWeaver architecture.

I will post as things come out.

Regards,

Ravi