Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I18N: How to change language at runtime

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to change the language of my Web Dynpro application at runtime. My application has a DropDownComboBox to select german or english as language. When selecting a language all texts should be displayed in this language.

The resource property files are available. If I change the browser language the correct property file is used but how do I change the language at runtime?

WDResourceHandler and IWDResourceHandler do not really help me with my problem.

Thanks for an answer

Helmut

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Helmut,

I am afraid that is not supported yet. I talked to a developer and we are kind of not very creative in finding a scenario or an application where it is needed to change the language during runtime. Usually the language of the session is defined during login. Anyhow, we are very curious to know about it. Could you please describe the scenario a little more detailed? Maybe we then could add this feature to the requirement list.

Best regards,

Karin

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

I agree with you that there is no good reason for having this feature.

But I´m working as an consultant at a customer. This customer does at the moment have several web applications written with Struts running on Bea Weblogic Server. They now want to evaluate if Web Dynpro meets their requirements.

They additonally do have a CI/CD that says there has to be a dropdown combobox to select the current language. Unfortunatly the 30.000 employees of this company are used to this CI/CD.

At the end of last year I´ve worked at a bigger company (>100.000 employees). They did have the same requirement. Because we did have a portal and Web Dynpro there, we found a solution using portal functionality.

In SAP Enterprise Portal the user can change her language and afterwards everythings appears in the new language. Shouldn´t this be possible with Web Dynpro, too?

Thanks for an answer

Helmut

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

there is a scenario where changing the language makes sense. Think about an application without user login (anomymous user) like http://www.mvv-muenchen.de. There you can switch between German, English, Italian, ...

Best regards

Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karin & Helmut,

I am also having the same requirement of changing the Web Dynpro locale at runtime.

Helmut: Any updates from your side, as to if you have by any way implemted this.

Karin: Any possibilities that you can tell, bcos this thread is 1 year old and you have mentioned that you will be placing this issues in some list and try to resolve it in next releases. We have got a major setback bcos of this since we were trying to implement our application in 5 diff language and to be used by large no. of ppl across the globe.

I will be obiliged if i get some positive reply from you people. Kindly have a look at the following thread posted by me and reply if possible.

Regards

Gaurav Gandhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anybody...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did u get the solution for the issue..

Pls respond...

Thanks

AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

I guess if you think about applications used by anonymous users you can only work with the language settings in the users internet browser (DefaultLocale).

As Karin mentioned already before, there is no other way at the moment (at least as far as I know) to change the language settings in a webdynpro application like you saw it on www.mvv-muenchen.de

Bye,

Timo