cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: Changing Language for Web Dynpro Java within NW Portal (i18n)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts out there,

I hope all you had a nice Christmas and a big New Years Eve :)!!!

i got a challenge for you about WD Java and internationalization (i18n)

Here is the scenario:

We are using a SAP NetWeaver Portal 7.0 and my task is to implement some smaller Web Dynpro Applications.

These Applications must be i18n conform, so i just created (according to the corresponding WD Java tutorial) some ".xlf" files.

Okay...Everything is working fine. The user can log at the portal and the application is displayed in his language, which is "english" or "german". (the application is just a simple form)

So far so good...Now here comes the point where it's getting tricky...

When the user wants to change his assigned language (of the portal user) he can use the "personalize" button in the Masthead (-> change portal language). All the portal content should now be displayed in his new chosen language.

For example the user is logged into the portal with "german" as portal language and now changes his languages settings into "english". After this everything in the portal (navigation, portal iViews ) is displayed in the changed language (from english into german) ...

BUT: my Web Dynpro Java Application stays as the original languages setting was. That means the whole portal is now english, but my WD Java Appl. stays german .

Only if the user logs of and logs in again, the WD Java Appl. is displayed in the corresponding portal language...

VERY Strange?!?!

Can anybody give me a hint how to solve this problem?

I guess i have to re-initiate the Web Dynpro Application some how ...(like killing the application and restarting it ...) but is just a "weak guess"...

Any Help / Hint is more than welcome !!!

Cheers

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

omg i am having this exact same problem now!

for my case the only way was to close the browser and reopen the page before the WD application refreshes to the new languange settings....

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

yes indeed. SAP told me that according to the note ( see post before) that is the only way the changed language will take effect. -> the user must log off and log in again to the portal, only then the WD Java application will change their language.

Thanks for your help ...

cheers and kind regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

This correct see SAP Note [947081|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/947081]

If the locale for the Web Dynpro iView is changed in the portal (through portal personalization), this is not reflected in the running login session. The user needs to logoff and login again, in order to see the locale change in the Web Dynpro iView.

Regards,

Leo