cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems while installing SAP MAM with an Image

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

To speed up the Installation of our Windows Mobile 5 clients I acquired Sprite Clone which creates Images of the completely set up phones.

We are running Mobile Infrastructure 3.0 and installing the conventional way via cab files which is no problem. After Installing SAP MAM I created an image of the whole phone with Sprite Clone. I then went into SAP MAM and used the option "Neuer benützer"("New User" in German). It then logs in as usual and lists that a syncronization is necessary to install the users components. After synchronizing the log file states "Ihr Gerät ist im System MMP nicht bekannt" ("Your client is unknown to the MMP system" in German).

This leads to me only having one option when entering MAM 3.0. I only have the User View Manager listed. Usually there are 5 listed options.

If anyone has set up MAM with an Image im pretty sure you ran into the same problem. I suspect the problem lies with the "Geräte ID" (Client ID). I tried once to erase the ID in the config file before syncronizing with a new user but that also led to the error about the unknown MMP system.

If anyone has any knowledge as to what to do im all ears!

Cheers

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

good idea - but unfortunately MI and its IDs .... well

Yes, you are right, the IDs will cause you some trouble in your way of installing devices. Ok, lets say it liek that: you setup a device with the installation CAB file. Then there is no Mobile ID, Device ID, Conversation ID,.... Nothig is defined. Well, you then enter the user, the settings for the server and then sync the first time. Latest with this sync all numbers are generated. If you then copy that image - or later after installing MAM - you have numbers and so on that are all based on the Device ID. Well, and here you wil soon run into a problem itself. I think your user problem is because you missed to copy some files - this is not a usual issue. BUT: if you have a copy of the device running, this copy is the same device for the backend. So you sync with device A, then the conversaiotn ID - which is a running number - will increase. Lets say the number was 9, in the sync it increases to 11 for example. Then you sync with device B. This generates a package with ID 9..... well, this causes an error, because the number should be 11... Are you with me?

What I want to say: THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE - sorry!

BUT: You can create a new CAB file - use the MS cabfile builder - in which you already define all necessary settings for the server. So all you need to do is to run this CAB file and just ask the user to log on. Then he can sync immediately. No further setup necessary.

Or you install MI - basic installation - do NOT restart the device or start MI manually, enter the settings manually into the config file, install DB2e manually for example and all that and do an image of that device. This image you can restore always - because there was no number generated up to that point.

The assignment of APPs and Add Ons can be done via the Device Configuration and Hirachy Grouping in NWA. There you can define to install DB2e and MAM to any device if the user syncs the first time.

Unfortunately there is no better way to install devices like that. In the moment you start MI the first time numbers are generated and these should be unique to the device itself. If you cope thses numbers to another device you will run into problems.

Hope this helps to solve the issue and does not result in a total questionmark - if I have lost you perhaps we should start a german conversation

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Oliver,

Wow, thanks for the great reply. Although VERY disappointing. I got the software on the advice of advisors from SAP. And they were convinced it would work.

You can create a new CAB file - use the MS cabfile builder - in which you already define all necessary settings for the server. So all you need to do is to run this CAB file and just ask the user to log on. Then he can sync immediately. No further setup necessary.

Or you install MI - basic installation - do NOT restart the device or start MI manually, enter the settings manually into the config file, install DB2e manually for example and all that and do an image of that device. This image you can restore always - because there was no number generated up to that point.

I dont quite understand what you mean by not restarting the device during a basic Installation. Our installation consists of syncing with a new user, and then manually restarting the device everytime a new component is installed (repsync, tomcat addon, mam 3.0, db2e, framework). This is the problem im facing. An installation takes about a half hour per phone!!! : - (

What settings would you enter into the config file? And how can you manually Install DB2E? Is there documentation around on how to do this?

Sorry for all the questions, but it really bums me out and this is not possible. Thanks for the input on the running number. That makes sense and if it assigns the running nr's to a device I could understand why there is an error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

I have seen you asked previously about how to set some settings always - this is perhaps the root of all evil. You do that by deploy settings from the server - but for the initial installation you have more options then the one you use actually and some of them can make your life easier.

Well, this logon, sync, restart, logon, sync, restart, logon,..... drives you crazy, I understand! BUT: if you define the packages with the SyncFramework, they can handle the restart themselve. If you furthermore define the order of the sync in the NWA as installation sequence, then you can life with just two syncs I think. Have you realized: when you install DB2e, it installs itself automatically. Stops MI, installs DB2e and restarts MI. AUTOMATICALLY! Seen that? Same is possible for all other packages. If you define a sequence then inside NWA, then all this is just one sync and one restart - and a few confirm buttons in MI.

But still you have to enter the server settings manually on the start page I think. So, lets start the other way. You have Tomcat Add On, Repetitive Sync, Framework and the general Server settings for Sync. This is uncritical to add to the CAB file. How to create a CAB file is described at the MSDN page of Microsoft - sorry, actually I have the docu at home and I am at client side for the next two weeks. But let me describe the possible solution there:

You unpack the CAB file for MI you have from SAP. Then you have a folder structure with all the files you can see on MI later. All you do is: change the mobilengine.config file in there and add the settings for Sync server and repetitive sync manually. The add on you put into the LIB folder. Same for patches. This you then add to the CREMELISTOFJAR file. Build the CAB file again - done! Next time you deploy your CAB file, this informaion is already included and no necessary further installation.

DB2e - well - all it does: copy a few files ..... In General:

- copy the JDBC.JAR to the LIB folder.

- Put this info into the CREMELISTOFJAR

- copy the DLL to the windows folder

- add the settings for DB2e to the mobileengine.config file

The good thing is: you find all this information in the DB2e installation file. Just open it, in the XML for the installation it tells you what it does. Just do these steps manually

If a CAB file is to new for you - well - this file you got from SAP for the image. Generally this is possible to use - as long as you have not synced and started MI. The problem is: you can never use that solution once you started MI and did a sync. But as I said previously: if you set the server settings in the MOBILEENGINE.CONFIG file manually and deploy the TOMCAT ADDON and the DB2e manually and then you do the image, then this image can be used to deploy it on each and every machine. Perhaps for you this is easier then building a new CAB file - the necesary steps to do are the same as above, but just on the PDA itself and then build the image with that tool. You do not need to deploy FRAMEWORK, ADD ON, DB2e, REPETITIVE SYNC and SERVER SETTINGS in MI via the server. All this can be done manually. And once it was done manually without starting MI, then you can make a IMAGE that you use to install on other PDAs

Hope I switched on a few lights again - and raised not to many questions. Where are you based? perhaps it makes sence to have a phone chat next week when I am back in germany to clarify a few of these issues and make your life easier!

Regards,

Oliver

Ok, we have a CAB file. This CAB file has all basic settings. For example the ones in the config file. Your repetitive Sync is defined in the config file as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Damn Oliver,

You are a Saint! Thanks for the well thought out informative reply! I appreciate it!

Nice to have some knowledge in black and white from someone who knows about the ins and outs of MAM.

Thanks alot, Doesnt solve the problem but, I'll be able to use some of this when I talk to the SAP guys again... And it points me in the right direction! (Ill try to find the Cab file documentation myself)

Im based in switzerland by the way in Zug. If you want I can PM you the names of those I have been in contact with in Germany...

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

you are more then welcome!

If you do not get a solution until next week - well, feel free to contact me in MSN or Skype - you will find th einfo on my Card here in SDN, so I will help you from there - I think this is easier then here on SDN in that case.

but hopefully you find the solutions earlier.

Regards,

Oliver

Answers (0)