cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Deletion with DB13?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey there,

I have planned some AllOnlineRedolog Backups to a disk. But there is only enough space for ONE Backup. So, after the Backup on the disk has been saved to a tape, it should be deleted. Not directly after the Tape-Backup but relatively before the new AllOnlineRedolog Backup.

Example:

01.01.2008 - 3:00am - AllOnline + RedoLog Backup (to Disk)

01.01.2008 - 8:00pm - Backup to Tape

08.01.2008 - 1:00am - Deletion of old Backup

08.01.2008 - 3:00am - AllOnline.... and so on.

Is this possible just with DB13? How could I realize this?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can delete the folder of the backup with a Windows scheduled task... But I don't know if you're using windows platform...

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey thank you,

What kind of task do I have to schedule exactly?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create a batch (.bat) and after schedule it every day.

Bye

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, it does not answer my question, but it solves my problem. Therefore, full points!

Thank you!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member218864
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi there,

If you are using the DB13 you probably are familiar with the profile file init<SID>.sap in that file you can configure the disk path if you didn't then the backups goes to the default path that is %SAP_DATA%\sapbackup. In the same file you can configure the retention period of that files and all the logs created during backup activities.

There is an activity pattern in the DB13 called Clean up logs, that pattern could be configured to delete old backup files.

We implement exactly the way you want, and in the init<SID>.sap located in %ORACLE_HOME%\database\ we set the parameters as follow:

1. retention period in days for archive log files saved on disk

2. default: 30

cleanup_disk_archive = 14

This means that offline readologs will be deleted if they are 14 days old

1. retention period in days for database files backed up on disk

2. default: 30

cleanup_disk_backup = 1

This means that all datafiles only will be available 1 day and at the next day when you run "Clean up logs" activity the previous backup will be deleted.

You can configure that for example the Clean up runs every day one our before the backup and with that you first delete the old backup and then you make a new one.

You can use the scheduler task if you want but if you use the DB13 you dont need to enter to you server every day to review the logs. We configure the scheduler task for our Portal because has no ABAP instance .

the instructions in the .bat file coul be "brconnect -u / -c force -p init<SID>.sap -f cleanup " and that is actually the pattern in DB13.

You can review the documentation of brconnect for more details.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/EN/50/7dd41742210144aee3fdee21c553eb/content.htm

Regards.

Gustavo Balboa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very interesting and even more stylish

Thank you very much!