cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQLServer problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just installed the MDM Server 5.5 SP2 and I am trying to create a new repository. I am using SQLServer as the dbms. When I try to create a new repository, I choose the SQLServer server and enter my user id and password. A window pops up asking me for the Data File Path and Transaction Log File Path. I leave it blank; I want to use the defaults. Then an error message pops up "Unable to modify database". What could have gone wrong?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not know how to check- I asked my DBA to grant me DBA previleges on the database. Then, in Oracle I tried to look at grants and previleges on the login/user. I do not know on SQL server. Sorry!

Good luck!

Savi

former_member278106
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Savitri,

I saw this problems when people have the A2i_xCat_DBs.Mdf / A2i_xCat_DBs.Ldf files in the SQL data directories disconnected (detached) from the DB server. This may be a result of previous MDM installation/uninstallation/testing/etc.

Check that you don't have these files, delete them and then create a new repository.

Regards, Lev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Simon, I missed your mail where you said you tested the 3 trouble shooting steps.

Check if your login has DBA previleges- powerful enough for catalog creation.

It should work at this point...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Savi,

How do I check my DBA privileges? I requested our DBA to give me "sa" privileges.

Regards,

Simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

The names always show A2i_CAT. These are MDM internal catalog names. DO not get confused by those names. Did you try to set the mds.ini file parameters?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Savi,

What file parameters are you referring to?

Regards,

Simon

Message was edited by: Simon Salcedo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I work on Oracle database with MDM but did use SQL server in a couple of instances. And with Oracle I did see this message.

The trouble shooting steps we followed were to see

(1) if we can connect to the database from else where (in case of Oracle like a SQL tool),

(2) check the mds.ini to see that the logon information is defined (SQL server DBA user name=xxx),

(3) that you are using same logon (xxx) as logn during your repository creation

At this point it should work..Please let me know...

Thanks

Savi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Savi,

I verified that I can connect to the database. I also confirmed that mds.ini entry exists. I only have 1 login; that hopefully answers step #3.

I am wondering if I don't have enough permissions using the login that was provided to me by my DBA.

Regards,

Simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

I looked at Console logs and I noticed that the console/server is trying to "SetDatabase to 'A2i_xCat_DBs'

" in my SQL Server database. I don't have a database by that name. Did I miss something during the install process?

Simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Do you have DBMS Client software installed on the machine where your MDM Server is located? And I hope you are using the user "sa" or user with equivalent rights.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajani,

I believe that I have the client software. Are you referring MDAC (SQL Server)?

Also, I should have equivalent rights to user "sa"; that is what I requested. Any way to find put if I don't have the needed rights?

Regards,

Simon