cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change variable value for characteristic during query navigation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

After execution of query when I try to change variable values using "Change variable values" button I receive message "You cannot change variable <VAR_1> for charact. <CHAR_1> during query navigation".

Here's the picture:

- VAR_1 is char.value variable (not a hierarchy node var.) and it's set to be obligatory for user entry

- CHAR_1 is not compounded with any other char.

- CHAR_1 is not directly in the multiprovider the query is based on - it is a navigation attribute of some other char (let's say CHAR_2)

- CHAR_1 is not filtered to anything else but the variable VAR_1

- the filter on CHAR_1 is set to be 'less or equal to VAR_1'

The strange thing is that if I change the type of the filter to 'equal to VAR_1' I will be able to change the variable value during navigation.

At the same time I have couple other variables in the same query that are used in filters of type 'less or equal to...' and there are no problems with them - they can be changed during nav.

Can someone help me with this, pls ?

P.S system version: BI7.0 PatchLevel 15.

Regards

Victor

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189638
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wiktor,

I hope you have the checkbox Can be Changed During navigation of the variable var1 ticked.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rakesh,

In fact I can't see such a checkbox in the variable details. I checked with reference help for BI 7.0 and it also doesn't say anything about it:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b2/e50138fede083de10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Because in this version of BI ability to change filters is determined by placing the filter selection on CHAR_1 in Query Designer either on Characteristic Restrictions ares or on Default Values area in the Filter tab - perhaps the same applies to variables (for the record: my restrictiction of CHAR_1 to VAR_1 is placed in Default Values area)

Regards

Wiktor

0 Kudos

We had the same problem. We decided to just move those variables to the Characteristic Restrictions side and delete them from the Default Values side. If kept on the Default Values side, the user can change the values (say from periods 1-16 to 1-12) using the navigation pane instead of using the Change Variable Values.

Has anyone heard of this changing in a future support pack?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont think so that will change as that is how it works with Default Values/Char Restrictions - Navigation in report.

Former Member