Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginners Forum perhaps needed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody

First a Happy New Year to everyone.

Recently there seems to be a huge tendency on these Forums for a large number of really basic questions such as I'm the Logistics manager but I don't know what MARA does, or "could you please post the code" for some very elementary problem that a beginning abapper on day one could have coded in 5 mins.

Most of these posters appear judging by their names to come from the Indian sub continent (or related countries).

We all have to learn somewhere but some of the questions are actually so basic you have to wonder if the posters have ever actually used a SAP system.

If these guys are genuinely working at customers sites I would suggest that the whole "Offshoring" exercise is going to be a total and unmitigated disaster.

Overseas Telephone call centres for example have provoked such an outrage in the UK that companies are now advertising the fact that they ONLY use UK call centres in spite of the higher cost.

I think the same thing will happen with a lot of I.T offshoring - the cost savings and efficiencies promised just don't appear in practice.

However to get back to the point I think a Real Beginners Forum perhaps could be a place where these really elementary questions could be posted without problems elswhere on other Forums.

Cheers

jimbo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jimbo:

Even when I hate those kind of "super newbie" questions...That's a natural thing on a forum like this...People can do that for a couple of reasons...They are really dumb to lie on their resumes and need help, or they are just point hunters...Anyway...It's hard to tell, so we can't do much about it...

The "Newbie forum" thing had been proposed too many times, and it's an option, because people are going to keep posting whenever they want...We had a Form Printing Forum, but some people post on Scripting Languages and ABAP forums instead...

I'm sure that you had seen the "Report Abuse" icon...Well, you and other SCN members must it to help us (The Moderators) to keep track and manage those kind of questions...

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Yes, we all need to use the "Report Abuse" button. If enough people do it, we may succeed to clean some spam and educate a lot of first time forum posters.

I, now systematically, report an abuse for each question asking for an answser on a private email.

I think it should also be done for Subject lines containing "urgent" which I consider very rude...

Regards,

Olivier

former_member46
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Just to clarify regarding the abuse button. Please use it if you find cases of abuse, as Alvaro said it helps us keep the forums clean. But while it should be used in cases of requests for material to be sent to private mails instead of sharing publicly or copyright infringement, it should NOT be used to report basic questions. While I understand the annoyance, and offering to search could be suggested, but its not abuse to ask a question, any question, even if its completely basic. Its part of being a community built of many different levels.

Gali

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I get the point on basic questions in general, impossible to draw a line there.

But what about basic questions, that have been asked and answered hundred times before, sometimes several times a day in the same forum, e.g. "tell me about peformace tunning" (sic)? In any other message boards I know people are being slapped if they do not put even the most basic effort into finding an existing answer first.

What about the exam/interview type questions á la "whats the difference between BDC and BAPI?". Somebody does not have an actual coding problem here, where we're all glad to help, but just wants the community to pull him through some kind of test situation, keeping his own efforts to a minimum.

I have already reported a few of such questions, should I continue to do so?

Cheers

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well,

So please change the name of these forums from "Expert Forums" to "Absolute basic questions Forums"...

It will clarify the situation !

Regards,

Olivier