cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal request failed (Native connection to the backend system is broken.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm running NetWeaver Enterprise Portal 7.0.

On Visual Composer:

When testing a data service (an RFC) I first get the usual message "Invoking data service..." and then the following error message:

Portal request failed (Native connection to the backend system is broken.)

The data service is an RFC (on a Solution Manager 4.0 with SAP_Basis 7.0).

More information:

1) The exact same function module exists on a different backend system (an ECC 6.0 also with SAP_Basis 7.0). When using the data service on this system, it works without any problem.

2) Other data services (all RFCs) on the same system (the above Solution Manager system) also work without a problem.

I have tried testing and using this data service several times but I always get the same error message.

Has anyone any ideas on why this data service shouldn't work while all the others do?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Kathy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kathy,

did you try deleting the data source (rfc) and adding it back to the iView? Also, ensure that you're not caching the data-sources (go to Tools>Options>Compiler and make changes to the data-service retrieval option)..

prachi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prachi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have tried deleting the data source and adding it again several times. I also tried starting completely from scratch with a new model. I even defined a new system object in the Portal for the backend system. But all this has not worked and I still have exactly the same problem.

Now to the caching of the data service:

The option for data service retrieval was set on "Cache retrieved services (for speed)". I changed it to the other possible option "Do not cache data services (get latest)" and had the following problem:

When I tried to define the data service by double-clicking on it or dragging it onto the storyboard, I got the usual pop-up "Fetching service metadata..." but then nothing happened, the "Define data service"-screen didn't appear. I tried this with all the three RFCs that I want to use for my model, but none of them worked. (Note: I tried this for the Solution Manager system which I want to use.)

Now, I've got exactly the same three RFCs on another system - an ECC 6.0 (as I described in my first post) and I tried again to define the data services. With this system each one of the services worked, I could define the service and testing was successful, too.

Consequently, it seems I have to enable the caching for data service retrieval at least for the Solution Manager system in order to be able to define the data services at all.

Thanks again for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it doesn't seem to help.

Cheers,

Kathy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

swapnilkulkarni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy,

was the BAPI in question was modified and activated after importing in VC?

Visit-

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/vc/cachingdatasource&]

I hope this will solve your problem.

with Best Regards,

Swapnil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swapnil,

Thanks for your question.

No, the RFC in question was neither modified nor activated after importing it in the VC.

Best regards,

Kathy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy,

Is the RFC,in question, working properly in the backend solution manager system?

Cheers

Nidhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nidhi,

Yes, the RFC is working fine in the backend system.

Kathy