cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The transaction log for database 'ECC' is full + ECC6.0 Installation Failur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guyz,

my ecc6 installation failed after 8 hours run with following error log snippet...

exec sp_bindefault 'numc3_default','SOMG.MSGNO'

)

DbSlExecute: rc = 99

(SQL error 9002)

error message returned by DbSl:

The transaction log for database 'ECC' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases

(DB) ERROR: DDL statement failed

(ALTER TABLE [SOMG] ADD CONSTRAINT [SOMG~0] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( [MANDT], [OBJTP], [OBJYR], [OBJNO] ) )

DbSlExecute: rc = 99

(SQL error 4902)

error message returned by DbSl:

Cannot find the object "SOMG" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions.

ECCLOG1 data file has got 25GB initial size and growth was restricted to 10% (PROPOSED BY SAPInst)...

i'm assuming this error was due to lack of growth space for ECCLOG1 datafile...am i right? if so how much should i allocate memory for this log ? or is there any workaround ?

thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You van try to empty log with Query analyzer command:

BACKUP LOG db_name WITH NO_LOG

you can also change the DB recovery mode to simple to avoid log overflow.

regards,

Wojtek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm new to basis world...

could you explain further your two suggestions pls like to how to do each task ?

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Query analyzer is a Microsoft SQL Tool

It is installed with Enterprice Manager

Use Ms SQL Enterprice Manager in taskpad view to check DB files and logs

Use Query analyzet to clear/shring log file

regards,

Wojtek

Former Member
0 Kudos

actually after installing sql server, it will not have any data files.... data files will be created during ECC6 installation.....during SAPInst process we can change the initial size of ECCLOG data file....

so i'm bit confused now like at what point should i use MS SQL Tool to change/shrink log file ?

during SAPInst process, one of the step is 'Import ABAP', i had this failure....

should i use MS SSQL TOOl to shrink log file while installing ECC6 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kasu,

If SQL is complaining that the log file is full then the phase of the install that creates the SQL data/log files has already occurred (happens early in the install) and the install is importing programs, config and data into the db.

Look at the windows application event log for "Transaction log full" events to confirm.

To continue, in SQL Query analyzer try:

"Backup log [dbname] with truncate_only"

This will remove only inactive parts of the log and is safe when you don't require point-in-time recovery (which you don't during an install).

Then, go to the SQL Enterprise manager, choose the db in question and choose the shrink database function, choose to shrink only the transaction log file and the space made empty by the truncate will be removed from the file.

Change the recovery mode in SQL Server to "simple" so that the log file does not grow for the remainder of the install.

Make sure you change the recovery mode back to "full" after the install is complete.

Your transaction log appears to have filled the disk partition you have assigned to it.

25GB is huge for a transaction log and you would normally not see them grow this large if you are doing regular scheduled tlog backups (say every 30-60 minutes) because the log will truncate every time, but its not unusual to see one get big during an install, upgrade or when applying hotpacks.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tim, Wojtek

thanks for ur replies.... what we did was, ran SAPInst again with 'New Installation' option (but increased log file size to 100 GB)...but this time it failed at Import ABAP at 17th process of 19.....

log file has error log saying 'SAP****.TSK' file already exists in ERP\CENTRAL\AS directory .....

is it bad idea to restart SAPInst with 'New Installation option once previous installation failed ? I mean does it conflict with any previous installation files?

i checked diskspace for C & E (where SQL data files reside) drives, and it has enough free space => 50 & 60 GB respectively .....

any pointers why it failed ?

thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before you start new installation it is a good idea to delete files from previos installation.

If installation stops :

First try to repeat

if it fail again : correct the error mentioned in error log.

In this case try to delete specified file(s)

Answers (0)