cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple SAP instance on single server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts.

We are in process of implementaing SAP solution withLandscpe having systems ECC 6.0, SolMan 4.0, BI. We are planning to have 3 Sytem landscape for all.

Now but currently we are having only one Physical server

Is it possible to Install 6 SAP system on single server?(DEV and QAS for ECC, Solman, BI respectively). The server is having sufficient hardware for 6 system as per sap standered. Planne OS is RHEL and DB MaxDB. Initially we are having 16 GB RAM extendable.

Will SAP support such kind of landscape?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We did not put 6 systems on the same server but we are running fine with 4 systems (R/3, XI, BI) on one server (8 itanium, 32 GB ram).

16 GB seems very small for 6 systems...

Don't forget that beside the obvioous economy, they are also big cons with mutualization.

When the server crashes because of a hardware failure, all of your landscape is out and the phone rings a lot.

When you need a reboot for one system, you have to stop all the others...

Good luck !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oliver Thanks for replying

I understand the point made by you regarding Server Crashing.

Also RAM for our system can be extended

All the systems to be installed here are DEV and QAS with approx 20 users. Do we have to consider 8 GB RAM for each system. As per SAP documentation Min 3 GB is required.

Also hoe to install multiple instances with MAXDB. Is there any such prob as MAxDB does not support multiple DB instance on single host?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nikhil,

You can create tiny systems but the performance will not be great.

The main point for me is the QAS system. Some programs may run out of memory on the QAS system but may be OK on the production system: how do you qualify them then ?

Sorry, I've no experience with MaxDB.

On our mutualized servers we use either Oracle or SQL Server.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having only 146Gb of Harddisk in our physiscal server.For additional storage we are getting NAS. As we dont have done installation using this, dont know this scenario.

We are planning to store the datapart of the DB in NAS ...Is there anything that differs with the normal installation if we use NAS ? Could please throw some lights on this.

Thanks

Nikhil

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

As long as you get your mount points right, rest is all the same.

The NAS layer is not visible to the SAP Application Server.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I STRONGLY recommend using some sort of virtualization like VMware. That way you can have seperate O/S versions, reboot one server at a time, apply O/S and DB patches and/or upgrade systems independently. SAP now supports VMware. For UNIX pretty much all the vendors Sun, IBM I think HP have their own logical partitioning software.