cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB and compressed NTFS harddisk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i'm not really sure, if this is the right place to post this, but anyway.

I've had severe MaxDB problems after compressing a NTFS harddisk partition. The DB generates a Windows application error on startup and fails. After decompressing the sapdb folder, everything works fine again. Is MaxDB generally restricted to run on uncompressed drives only or is this a bug?

MaxDB version is KERNEL 7.5.0 BUILD 007-123-057-359, OS is XP Professional, SP1.

Regards

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

just to clarify: MAXDB will not run on compressed (NTFS) disks, it's not a bug, it's meant that way.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

would it have been possible for me to install MaxDB on an <b>already</b> compressed drive or is there a check somewhere? I did the compression after the installation.

Regards,

Stefan

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

maxdb's coding doesn't permit starting on a compressed drive, I'm not sure about the installation, but if it's not startable...

Regards,

Roland

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

A database in general uses very low level functions to be as fast as possible. Therefore you should expect that you run into problems when using compressed drives.

Just don't do it.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benny,

you are right. I ran into this by accident, since i compressed the drive after the engine installation procedure. Since i know it now, i won't do it once again.

Thanks and regards,

Stefan