Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS-DB migration for Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am doing an os-db migration of ECC 5.0. I have one query,

1. My source database is on Oracle 9.2

2. I want to build my target on Oracle 10g.

After exporting the database from Oracle 9i using R3load can i import it directly into Oracle 10g ?

If yes what care I have to take, Are there any post installation steps which needs to be performed after importing the data e.g converting long column to lob etc.

Has anyone tried doing this.Please reply me if someone has performed this kind of migration.

Regards

Deepak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

in past months, I have done several such kind of os/db migrations, from Oracle 9 to Oracle 10. There isn't any problem at all, because R3load is OS and DB independent. So, just go further.

For a successful migration, what you need, is only to follow the instructions in SAP System/Migration documentation (of course, you need some experience to understand it). If you have problem about the documentation, you can post here. Have fun!

Rongfeng

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rongfeng,

Thanks for the reply. One more question after migration have u done any post installation steps which are not mentioned in the guide.

I have one doubt here Oracle 9i uses LONG which 10g uses LOBS how this will get converted ?

Regards

Deepak

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

>> I have one doubt here Oracle 9i uses LONG which 10g uses LOBS how this will get converted ?

This is only an option not a "must have". The migration itself is described in sapnote #835552

Columns of the type LONG will also supported in Oracle 10g.

Or do you want explicit the LONG to LOB migration, then follow sapnote #835552 and sapnote #646681.

If you load/unload the database with R3load 7.00 .. new tables will be created with LOB types - have a look at sapnote #1046103

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Has someone performed the LONG to LOB conversions. I am asking this because SAP says,

Do not carry out a LONG-LOB migration for performance-critical SAP applications.

that means if we carry LONG-LOB migration my performance is going to get affected.SAP states that it will be 30% slower.

Has someone performed the migration of LONG-LOB migration and faced performance issues ?

Regards

Deepak

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

>> Has someone performed the migration of LONG-LOB migration and faced performance issues ?

Yes i have done some upgrades from 4.6c to ERP 2005 (with unicode migration) and in this scenario the LONG columns will be converted to LOBs (as i already mentioned, because i have used a R3load 7.00).

A good example for the "automatic" LONG-LOB migration with R3load 7.00 is the table VBDATA. You can test it very easily by exporting and importing it with a R3load 7.00 - the column VBDATA type "LONG RAW" will be converted to BLOB.

I have not faced any performance issues relating to the LOB migration, but this depends on your tables and how they will be used. The performance problems depends on caching or if the LOBs are in-line or out-line ...

For example the column VBDATA is cached and stored in-line:

> SQL> select COLUMN_NAME, CACHE, IN_ROW from ALL_LOBS where TABLE_NAME = 'VBDATA';

> VBDATA YES YES

If you want to know more about LOBs and their performance factors - take a look at the oracle whitepaper:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/application_development/pdf/lob_performance_guide...

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Your inputs are really very helpful.

We need to do OS DB Migration from HP UX, ECC 5.0 with Oracle 9i to SOLRIS, ECC 5.0 and upgrade to 10g.

My only concern is the DB Size which is 12 TB and Downtime, as the customer is ready to give only 2 days of Downtime.

1. May you please give your expert advice if we can go ahead with sapinst with 12 TB or not ?

2. and if yes then will it complete in 2 days ?

Currently we are planning to migrate to 10g and then use Oracle Data pump, Transport Table space with BR Tools for DB Migration.

Thank you in advance for your valuable suggestion.

Regards,

Vikash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

at first i wanna says that i never have done this, but it should be possible.

>> After exporting the database from Oracle 9i using R3load can i import it directly into Oracle 10g ?

Yes this should be possible - you can do the same with oracle tools (exp/imp).

>> Are there any post installation steps which needs to be performed after importing the data e.g converting long column to lob etc.

No i don't know any steps after that. If you follow the "normal" way by upgrading source database first you also have not do some of these.

But please keep in mind:

You have additional performance factors (CBO features, reorganisation), if you upgrade and migrate at one step and it is not the supported way.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

I want to do it in a simple steps.

1. Export the Oracle source database 9.2.0.7 using R3LOAD.

2. Install the SAP system on the target with Oracle 10g

3. Import the data using R3LOAD into Oracle 10g. I dont want to upgrade the database on the source.

I am doubtfull about third step. I can import the 9i data into 10g but I dont know whether there will be other issues / SAP will not function correctly ?

Regards

Deepak

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

That is an "unorthodox" method to upgrade Oracle, but you should not hit any problem.

The export with R3Load is DB independent, so you can import it with a different DB software ( Informix, MaxDB ) or with a different version.

There should be no issues at SAP level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak

Actually you don't have to use R3load manually, just use sapinst for the export and installation/import. sapinst will call R3load.

1. Export the Oracle source database 9.2.0.7 using R3LOAD sapinst -> SAP NetWeaver '04 -> System Copy -> Source System -> ABAP System -> Oracle -> (NON-)Unicode -> ABAP Database Content Export

2. Install the SAP system on the target with Oracle 10g with sapinst, you possible have to install the central instance, and then the db instance. With NW 7.0 it is all in one step.

I am not quite about the selections here, because i only did a NW 7.0 migration lately, and sapinst layout changes from version to version

I did this with a source running on 9.2.0.4 to target 10.2.0.2. No problems.

Best regards, Michael