cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup during 30 hours.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

We need some help about our production backup.

We have around DB 92Gb allocated and our backup full with verify schedelled by SAP or MS SQL 8.00 2040 is during 30 hours.

We oppened one issue to SAP Support but they haven´t idea about the problem they asked to contact the HW provider.

We talked to our HW provider and the answer was a same.

Is it someone saw something like this?

Our environment:

MS Windows 2000 Server

MS SQL Server 8.00 2040

Our tape is local standalone

Our tape is DLT 40/80GB

Thanks,

Maria Lúcia.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

There can be lots of reasons why a backup is slow:

It can depend on your Server's CPU/Memory spec, your disk I/O subsystem, the speed of your tape drive, your backup software , the type of backup (online or offline), the load on your system at the time the backup runs, etc.

A couple of quick tips:

- If your backup is taking 30 hours I'm guessing you are performing it online. If this is going directly to tape it can be very slow. A quick win would be to add more disk to your server if possible and perform the backup to a file device first (.bak file), then backup the resulting file to tape.

- If your tape drive is older, you might want to look at a newer model.

- There are some faster alternatives to the standard SQL Server backup software available now, although the standard tools included in SQL Server should be more than adequate for a DB that is 92GB.

- If none of the above are possible, you might want to consider a downtime window (if possible) to backup your DB offline which would also be much quicker.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your response and tips.

Have a best 2008!!

Best Regards,

MLRF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

More one question:

Could you answer me, for backup offline I must stop only DB or the SAP and DB together?

In this case, how can I stop the SAP and DB automatically?

Thanks,

MLRF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maria,

You would definitely need to stop your SAP system first and then the SQL Server service before offline backup.

These are 2 example scripts which should be run as separate

.bat files and scheduled using the Windows scheduler:

To Stop SAP

stopsap.exe name=SID nr=00 SAPDIAHOST=servername

net stop MSSQLSERVER

saposcol -k

To Start SAP

net start MSSQLSERVER

net start SQLSERVERAGENT

saposcol start

startsap.exe name=SID nr=00 SAPDIAHOST=servername

I have never actually needed to do this but it's in some notes I have. Make sure you test it on your QA server first!

Also, you might want to split it into separate .bat files for stopping and starting SAP and SQL and scheduling the SAP stop/start and the SQL stop/start 1 minute apart so that when stopping, you are sure SAP is stopped before taking down SQL and when starting, you are sure SQL is up before starting SAP.

Also, don't forget to add extra scripting for any dialog instances you may have.

Also have a look at:

http://help.sap.com

and

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/

Hope this helps,

Tim

Answers (0)