cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make some free space with Oracle methods

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I use SAP ECC 5.0 with Oracle 9.2 on Windows and need to make some free space.

My partitions are:

C with 10 GB, free are 2 GB

F (DATA) with 117 GB, freea are 1 GB

Under F I have Oracle data (F:/oracle/<SID>/...) as well as SAP data (usr/sap/<SID>/...)

I run Oracle in non-archive mode.

Which oracle methods can I use to make some free space (reduce logging, backup/restore, consolidation/distribution of partitions)?

Thank you very much indeed!

regards

Thom

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thom,

I suggest you to attach a new HDD to your system, Transfer some of datafiles from F drive to the newly attach HDD using standard utility such as SAPDBA/BRTools.

Once you get some free space on F drive then you can try to reorg the DB.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Rajesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

OK, you have two drives.

What do I know that you have there:

C with 10 GB, free are 2 GB -> the OS, nothing else should be there. I assume that Windows should take 4GB+2GB free.

Now you have to find what is taking the other 4Gb and delete it.

F (DATA) with 117 GB, freea are 1 GB -> I assume you have Oracle and SAP software.

I also assume you have the database ( that I have no clue how much of that space is taking )

So, it is quite difficult to know what you can delete from there.

On the Oracle trace directory, probably you can reduce the size of the alert log, and delete old trace files.

You can run brconnect -cleanup to delete old log files from br* tools

also, take a look at the note 16513.

Other than that, difficult to say without know what do you have there.

As mentioined by the Stefan and Rajesh, probably there is not much space to gain and it is better to add a new HD.

You mentioned that you are running in non-archive mode, I assume that this is a test system as it is NOT supported to run any kind of Production System on NOARCHIVE log Mode. you should only run a DB in this mode if you do not mind to lose data since your last backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Many thanks for your response!

Can you tell me the names of all the Log-Files used by Oracle that I make empty (e.g. alert<SID>...)?

You mentioned

>You can run brconnect -cleanup to delete old log files from br* tools

Should I run these comands as <sid>adm?

> connect / as sysdba

> startup

> brconnect -cleanup

Thank you very much!

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thom,

For log-Files check SAPTRACE folder.

To run the brtools, you have to login as <sid>adm & just type BRTools at command line, you will get the different options for brtools.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Rajesh

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thom,

>> Which oracle methods can I use to make some free space (reduce logging, backup/restore, consolidation/distribution of partitions)?

As you already said you are running the oracle database in non-archive mode ... so there is no chance to reduce logging.. because you have none (if you ignore the online redologfiles). Maybe you can decrease the size of your online redolog groups (by removing the mirroring ... but this is not supported by SAP!).

The other thing you maybe can do is to reorg your database and decrease the size of your data files. Or maybe you have created some too big and there is many unused space in the data files so you can resize them.

So i would suggest the following points:

1) Check the size of the data files and maybe you can resize them (if no blocks are used above the specified MB size)

2) Check unused space in tables/indexes and maybe reorg them (online) and then you maybe can resize the datafiles

3) Check the redo log groups and their sizes...

Which oracle ways/features you can use depends on many factors like tablespace types (permanent, temp), used features (ASSM, LMTs and so on...) - all the informations are missing and if you will pardon the expression 117 GB seems not very big to me.. maybe buying some space is a better way..

Regards

Stefan