cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use dataitem action

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Forum,

I am building xMII's XML format document and in that I am using data item action to add data in a row. When i tried mentioning the document name,data item name and value in the 'configure object' option(data is mentioned at design time), data is getting inserted properly in to the document.

But if i try to set the document name,item name and value name in the 'configure links' option(data to be fetched at runtime), data is not getting inserted.

Can any one tell how to work out when data is to be fetched at runtime or is it supposed to work only when the data item name is mentioned at design time ?

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

I did the same way as you said and conceptually we are on same page .

Let me explain what i did :

1) Create two columns in the document dynamically.

2) Create an empty row which points to the document.

3) Now, create two dataitems which points to the document. While assigning values in the link editor, we can see only three properties i.e name, value and document name. Here, i mentioned a value and mapped the document.

This is not working either may be xMII doesn't know to how to map the value to available two column names or as Rick(previous reply) said document name should be given at design time.

And as i said i can't mention document name at design time. I am forced to enter the column name also at design time. I am using xMII 11.5. I feel this is a problem with 11.5. can you please try this in xMII 12.0.

Anyways, i got a work around of this problem using string concatenations etc.

Thanks & Regards,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuel,

Never assign a Document in the Link Editor only on the Configure Dialog.

You should be able to do this with the COLUMN.

That is what Rick ment with design time.

I did it on 12.0.1 and checked the COLUMN Configure Dialog on 12.0.2 it works and now

I checked it on 11.5.3 b66 without problems.

Here is a Link to the Documentation of my Transaction.

[http://www.freedrive.com/folder/12f0aef5ef23da50414ec97c9b7c79ba]

Click on the 1st Link then use the blue arrow to download. It will not open just clicking on the Link in the Browser.

Ciao

Martin

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

That is working fine on xMII 11.5 also.

Thanks a ton for your replies.

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin ,

I did the same way as you said. The COLUMN action takes the dummy values and inserts the columns in to the document. And when i want to insert values for these columns in the rows, am using DATAITEM action as i already said. Here, if mention the column name in linking(run time), values are not getting updated at runtime into the document.

I tried giving a dummy value for the column name and mentioned the document name at design time as you said. Even then i cant see the new columns added at runtime. I can only see the dummy column that i added at design time in rows of XML.

Thanks,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuel,

Document will make a empty Document Structure,

=> lets call it myDOC.

Column will add a Column to this if it points to myDOC.

- to add more than one Column you need either N Column Actions or put one Column Action in a Loop.

=> We add one Column called myCol1 in the Link Editor.

Now we need a ROW Action because we want to Add a row for our values - it points to myDOC.

- to add more than one Row you shoud use a Loop.

Now we use the DATAITEM - it points to myDOC. It will put the values in the empty Row we just created.

- to data in more than one Column you need N DataItem or a Loop over your Columns (where ever you take them from).

- name of the Column has to be myCol1 as we added this before.

Should work. By the way I'm on xMII 12.0.1 but this shouldn't play a role.

Ciao

Martin

PS: I think you have forgotten the ROW.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

I tried to do that way also. But when i chose the document name and press on OK button, a pop up is shown saying that "Cannot add empty column". It is a warning message. I m left with only option of pressing CANCEL button and the data that i entered is lost. I think it is must to give the column name also statically. But this is a weird behavior.

I can enter both the document name and column name statically. I can assign the value dynamically but i want to give the column name also dynamically.

Thanks,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuel,

As you know you can set the column names in the configuration dialog of the DOCUMENT ACTION. If you like to keep them dynamic choose a COLUMN ACTION (configure it with dummy values at design time and add the name dynamically in the link editor). Use a ROW ACTION to add a row. Use a DATA ITEM action (configure it with dummy values at design time and add the name dynamically in the link editor). All actions point to DOCUMENT.Output in the configure dialog.

Ciao

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael:

Your approach will work fine by using links for the item name and item value, but not for the document name. That must be defined at "design time" using the configuration dialog.

Rick