cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why many interfaces?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,I am recently trained on xi, I have confusion in xi project.Here is my doubt--

Why in a single project we create many interfaces(idoc to file, soap to rfc, rfc to file etc)

For an example a client has implemented SAP and wants to transfer some data(say Material master data) to a non SAP system within the company,since the non sap system cannot understand the format of data in the sender SAP system we use xi and create interface idoc to file in this case.

But why in a project like this we require to go with creating other interfaces ile SOAP to RFC, RFC to file etc.

Could someone help me with the flow of project? Please!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

That again depends upon the client business requirement. IF u wnated to get some response from RFC FM at R3 end then u go for RFC adapter, if u wanted to get response from remote server then u go for SOAP.

if u wanted to have a data updated in Database then u go For JDBC adapter. if u wanted to update the data in R3 database then u go for Proxy.

So it again depends upon what is ur client requirement.

Thnx

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chirag,

Thanks for your response.

I am still not clear about the project.Could you please expain me by taking a simple project in real time environment.I mean how the requirement would be, why we require to transfer the data etc etc.

Happy new year

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I dont know how much experience u have and how many project u have worked on.

1) Why u need XI.

A) Xi is the middleware tool which is used to integrate Non sap and SAP system.

Refer some of the business requirements:

1)Take an example ur client has the design like where it has many legacy system and SAP system in place where there is a need to transfer the data between Legacy system and SAP with data manipulation.

Now the requirement could be from the legacy system u r getting the file either contains finance data,sales order data which need to be posted to SAP system in the form of IDOC with data modification, for finance ACC_DOCUMENT03 and sales order ORDERS05 IDOC is used. so that time u need to use the File adapter picking file at the sender side and IDOC adapter at the reciever side.

2) Second example may be u need to transfer the data between two R3 system that time u can go for PROXY to PROXY scenario where u write Outbound proxy at one R3 end and INbound Proy in other R3 end for updating the data into Database.

3) If ur client want to transfer the data to some messaging system of IBM then u can go for JMS adapter.

4) Supppose ur client has the requirement where he need to get the detail information from R3 end for example u r getting the company code from file and u need to get the company information for that company code from R3 system and send that company detail to some other legacy sytem through file then u go for File->RFC request RFC response->file scenario.

5) Suppose u have a webservices avaliable remotly and u need to get the similar kind of information which is talked in point no 4 then u go for SOAP adapter.

So depending upon ur requirement the we need to design and configure it in XI.

I hope now u understood.

Thanks

Chirag

Reward points if it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chirag,

Thanks a lot for the great information. However I have a small doubt-

The few requirements which you have provided belong to only one project or can occur in different projects also?

Please provide me a sample xi project with description .I am looking for any kind of project in XI as recently i got one good oppurtunity in XI.

Your help is highly appreciated and many many thanks in advance. I will be very greatful to you if you could send to my mail id : suresh_b_1981@yahoo.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

That again depends upon client business landscapte, how many system ur client wanted to integrate with XI.

In my previous project:

Cleint has MQ series,Legacy system so we have JMS,Proxy,FIle,IDOC,RFC scenarios.

But in my previous project we have only IDOC and file scnearios.

So it varies project to project.

If u wanted to learn Xi and different scenarios then just go through the below weblogs for starter.

XI elearning:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/xi-elearning

Sender file adapter FCC -

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/02/introduction-to-simplefile-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart1

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/03/introduction-to-simple-file-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart2

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/06/08/how-to-send-a-flat-file-with-various-field-lengths-and-variable-substructures-to-xi-30

/people/anish.abraham2/blog/2005/06/08/content-conversion-patternrandom-content-in-input-file

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2005/08/17/nab-the-tab-file-adapter - TAB delimited

/people/jeyakumar.muthu2/blog/2005/11/29/file-content-conversion-for-unequal-number-of-columns

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/02/27/content-conversion-the-key-field-problem

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2004/12/15/how-to-send-a-flat-file-with-fixed-lengths-to-xi-30-using-a-central-file-adapter

Receiver file adapter FCC-

/people/arpit.seth/blog/2005/06/02/file-receiver-with-content-conversion

Proxy:

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/14/abap-proxies-in-xiclient-proxy

Server Proxy -

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/04/03/abap-server-proxies

File to Inbound Proxy:

/people/prateek.shah/blog/2005/06/14/file-to-r3-via-abap-proxy

/people/prateek.shah/blog/2005/06/08/introduction-to-idoc-xi-file-scenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starters - IDoc to File

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/14/abap-proxies-in-xiclient-proxy - ABAP Proxy to File

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/06/01/file-to-jdbc-adapter-using-sap-xi-30 - File to JDBC

/people/prateek.shah/blog/2005/06/14/file-to-r3-via-abap-proxy - File to ABAP Proxy

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/02/introduction-to-simplefile-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart1 - File to File Part 1

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/03/introduction-to-simple-file-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart2 - File to File Part 2

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/06/24/convert-any-flat-file-to-any-idoc-java-mapping - Any flat file to any Idoc

/people/arpit.seth/blog/2005/06/27/rfc-scenario-using-bpm--starter-kit - File to RFC

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/1685 [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] - File to Mail

/people/jayakrishnan.nair/blog/2005/06/20/dynamic-file-name-using-xi-30-sp12-part--i - Dynamic File Name Part 1

/people/jayakrishnan.nair/blog/2005/06/28/dynamic-file-namexslt-mapping-with-java-enhancement-using-xi-30-sp12-part-ii - Dynamic File Name Part 2

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/03/07/mail-adapter-xi--how-to-implement-dynamic-mail-address - Dynamic Mail Address

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/05/25/understanding-message-flow-in-xi - Message Flow in XI

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2005/06/09/walkthrough-with-bpm - Walk through BPM

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/05/22/schedule-your-bpm - Schedule BPM

/people/sriram.vasudevan3/blog/2005/01/11/demonstrating-use-of-synchronous-asynchronous-bridge-to-integrate-synchronous-and-asynchronous-systems-using-ccbpm-in-sap-xi - Use of Synch - Asynch bridge in ccBPM

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/1403 [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] - Use of Synch - Asynch bridge in ccBPM

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/08/22/xi-maintain-rfc-destinations-centrally - Maintain RFC destination centrally

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/08/18/triggering-e-mails-to-shared-folders-of-sap-is-u - Triggering Email from folder

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/08/17/outbound-idocs--work-around-using-party - Handling different partners for IDoc

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/27/modeling-integration-scenario146s-in-xi - Modeling Integration Scenario in XI

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/08/25/xi-sending-a-message-without-the-use-of-an-adapter-not-possible - Testing of integration process

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/05/25/xi-how-to-add-authorizations-to-repository-objects - Authorization in XI

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/58/d22940cbf2195de10000000a1550b0/content.htm - Authorization in XI

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--step-by-step - Alert Configuration

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--troubleshooting-guide - Trouble shoot alert config

/people/sameer.shadab/blog/2005/09/21/executing-unix-shell-script-using-operating-system-command-in-xi - Call UNIX Shell Script

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/11/02/overview-of-transition-from-dev-to-qa-in-xi - Transport in XI

/people/r.eijpe/blog/2005/11/04/using-abap-xslt-extensions-for-xi-mapping - Using ABAP XSLT Extensions for XI Mapping

/people/prasad.ulagappan2/blog/2005/06/07/mail-adapter-scenarios-150-sap-exchange-infrastructure - Mail Adaptor options

/people/pooja.pandey/blog/2005/07/27/idocs-multiple-types-collection-in-bpm - Collection of IDoc to Single File

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/17/xi-controlling-access-to-sensitive-interfaces - Controlling access to Sensitive Interfaces

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/11/10/xi-the-same-filename-from-a-sender-to-a-receiver-file-adapter--sp14 - The same filename from a sender to a receiver file adapter - SP14

/people/prasad.illapani/blog/2005/11/14/payload-based-message-search-in-xi30-using-trex-engine - Payload Based Message Search in XI30 using Trex Engine

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/24/xi-configuring-ccms-monitoring-for-xi-part-i - XI : Configuring CCMS Monitoring for XI- Part I

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/11/23/xi-html-e-mails-from-the-receiver-mail-adapter - XI: HTML e-mails from the receiver mail adapter

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/22/xi-faqs-provided-by-sap-updated - XI : FAQ's Provided by SAP

Thnx

Chirag

Reward points if it helps and close the thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chirag,

Thanks for the great information.

However I am still not clear about the business flow of the project completely. You have mentioned that in your previous project your have integrated MQ series and Legacy system and you have created scenarios using adapters like JMS,Proxy,FIle,IDOC,RFC.

Can you explain me for transfering what business data you have used these adapters.

I am sure this will solve my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

Let me give u sone business requirement:

1) All commercial products are shipped to the 3rd Party logistics provider (3PLP) from various XYZ factories as well as other 3PLPs for subsequent deliveries to the final customers. All 3PLPs need to receive instructions for confirmed customer orders/deliveries so that they can process the same & arrange to despatch the ordered material to the end customer.

After processing the Customer Orders/Deliveries, they need to send a Confirmation back to XYZ SAP system that the items in the customer order/delivery have been picked & despatched to the end customer.

For this the ORDERS and ORDRSP IDOC was used, the scenario was related to SD module.In this case we have used file adapter and IDOC adapter.

2) A large number of customers in Netherland send their orders through an file adapter. These orders received through interfaces needs to be converted into sales orders (ORDERS IDOC) in the SAP system.

The EDI Orders file is received at XI, which in turn translates into an IDoc. The processing of the IDoc leads to the creation of a Sales Order with in SAP.

3) An ABAP program retrieves the data and transfers it to XI using an Outbound Proxy. XI passes this data to the JMS adapter without using any business mapping on the data. JMS adapter then posts a file into the Specified JMS Queue.

There are many such business requirement but I think this is usfficient to understand the flow.

Thnx

Chriag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chirag,

Thank you very much for providing such a great information.

Regards,

Suresh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh

I can understand what u need.

See adapter is used mainly to convert particular format to XML structure and vice-versa.

Suppose a project which has sending system as Tally and receiving system as SAP. SAP is not capable to communicate with SAP through message exchange. As we know Tally saves data in file and placed on the system. So suppose a file generated from Tally for purchased order is placed on C:\purchage.dat now we need a special adapter called file adapter that can understand this purchage.dat and convert into XML purchase order so that XI can process it.Bu on the other side SAP can read only read IDOC structure to update purchage order info in to R3 < 4.0. So this side we will use IDOC adapter.

If sender side data in database not in file system then how can file adapter be used then we use JDBC adapter to get data from.

****reward point if it helps u understand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.

However I have good basic knowledge on xi and I have gone through many Blogs available in

SDN.I know the functionality of all the adapters in xi.

But I dont know how the client requirement would be in xi.For eg- If client business is manufacturing paper then what data he would be maintaining in r/3 system and what data he would be transfering to other systems where xi can be used(I know this depends on the client business landscape).I just want to know how the process flow would be generally in a real time project.I hope you understand my question.

Regards,

Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Then in this case it will be a SD module where the process is

1) customer send the quotation for the paper.

2) ur client revert back with the quotation

3) once that is finalize then your customer check the avaibility of the paper and send the confirmation to client.

4) So this is SD process along with finance wherer u r sending the ordersIDOC which ahs information of items -like quantity of papers,rate,date,time many more.

5) Once customer receives the paper then customer send the order confirmation to client.

6) invoice is raised

7) Accordingly at the FICO level the changes happens.

So this is the normal process.

I dont have much idea about the Functional part.

But as a developer you need not bother about it ususally function people give the functional specification along with the desing flow.

Thnx

Chirag

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for that matter any transaction dependant data are processed in and out of r3 using xi. say the PO (production order) created in R3 needs to tracked in a quality system that is out of box and this process can be integrated. Also if the client are using e-matrix system they woudl first engineer the part numbers in this system and then create the same in r2. in this case also they opt of integration as to avoid creation of part or uplaoding the part information in r3 mannualy either by lsmw or bdc