cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is mean by Web dynpro? how it is differs from webbrowser?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I new to SAP and i couldn't undersatnd the term webdynpro?

what is it exactly?

I know about EP... but web dynpro means what and where is this used?

Regards,

Siva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member197348
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Web Dynpro - stands for Web Dynamic Programming.

Basically Web Dynpro is used for developing user interfaces(UI) for Web applications.

The UI is similar to BSP in ABAP or JSP in Java.

The key features of Web Dynpro are

Extensive platform independence of interfaces

High level of reusability

Clear separation of presentation and processing logic as well as data retrieval

High-performance processing

Web Dynpro is used in various types of applications. e.g.

Portal Content Development

Web Applications Development

Mobile Applications Development

Go through this link to know more

[ About Web Dynpro|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/15/0d4f21c17c8044af4868130e9fea07/content.htm]

regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

What does that mean: "The UI is similar to BSP in ABAP or JSP in Java"?

The Web Dynpro programming model is significantly different from page-based programming models with tag libraries.

Armin

former_member197348
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

I mean properties and look and feel of UI Elements in Web Dynpro are similar to that of in JSP and BSP. I mentioned this in a point of view that Siva can compare the UI design with BSP if he is from ABAP or with JSP if he is from Java.

Of course, there are some differences in UI look and feel like refreshing etc.

Correct me if I am wrong.

regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't understand your argument. Web Dynpro is a programming model together with a set of tools, and the programming model differs significantly from the mentioned other frameworks. In the Web Dynpro programming model you don't operate directly with HTML, Javascript, tag libraries, HTTP requests etc. Instead you create server-side components, views, models etc. and the complete client-side representation, for example as HTML with Javascript is done by the Web Dynpro runtime.

Armin

former_member197348
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Armin,

First of all it was not an argument, I tried to explain why I used that sentence there. Instead of making clear my intention, probably I rather made it more confused.

Web Dynpro is the SAP NetWeaver programming model. Web Dynpro has its own framework and API . The Web Dynpro model is based on the Model View Controller (MVC) paradigm.

Using Web Dynpro we can develop high quality Web user interfaces (UI) for business applications which are Client neutral and platform-independent. Nothing to argue here.

You question:

Why I used "The UI is similar to BSP in ABAP or JSP in Java"?

I tried to explain there "When we run the Web Dynpro applications or BSP applications and JSP applications the UI look and feel is similar (not same) and moreover in designing we can find similar properties for common UI Elements". But I don't mean that Web Dynpro is same as JSP or BSP. I already provided link to explain him about Web Dynpro. Since he is novice to Web Dynpro, I have thought that it would be helpful for him to have some comparison with his previous experience.That is why I mentioned like that.

regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

I can understand upto some extent but only one point i couldn't get.

Consider if i have developed a UI (for java) with the help of webdynpro, I can embed this in to a html page and then use ..isn't it?

If a patricular application is called from html page then its corresponding webdynpro component shall be called..am i right?

We can cascade webdynpro components,ie..we can embed one webdynpro component into another webdynpro component... say if i have embeded 10 components together, now this itself acts like an application..?

anyway if i want to use my webdynpro components i need a specifed medium(for example HTML page or business explorere)..or shall i use this alone anywhere?

-SivaManjunathan

Edited by: Sivamanjunathan S on Jan 1, 2008 11:18 AM

Edited by: Sivamanjunathan S on Jan 1, 2008 11:24 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I only wanted to make it clear that Web Dynpro is not a programming model like JSP or BSP even if the rendered output in a web browser might look similar (which is just a consequence of using a unified rendering framework for Web Dynpro and BSP).

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

kindly go through this link.

link 1:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/15/0d4f21c17c8044af4868130e9fea07/content.htm

This link clearly states web dynpro is a programming model.

and one more link,

link 2:

/people/ulrich.waiditschka/blog/2007/11/28/testing-businessgraphics-in-web-dynpro-for-java

this link shows one application which is developed by web dynpro, which looks like JSP page(but it don't have any hyperlinks).

-SivaManjunathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where did I claim that Web Dynpro is not a programming model? I wrote that it is not a programming model like JSP or BSP (which are page-based etc.)

And what is "the look" of a JSP page? It can look however you want to.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

In Page based programming model every time the total page shall be reloaded when new data required. but in web dynpro,

shall we say approriate component or application is reloaded depends upon the user interaction?

Ya a JSP page may look at any way, but here i would like to emphasize a web browser look(For ex, Internet explorer).

-Siva manjunathan

Edited by: Sivamanjunathan S on Jan 1, 2008 2:25 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Page-based programming model does not mean necessarily that the complete HTML page is reloaded on every request. It just denotes the way how an application is defined in terms of pages, tags, embedded scripting and all this stuff.

And this is totally different from the Web Dynpro programming model. Here you work on entities like views, components, models and not directly on browser-technology entities.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi armin,

thank you for your information.

If u don't mind could you explian, bit elabrate the second point.

Browser technology enetites means what it is exactly?

-Siva Manjunathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

That means in Web Dynpro you define your UI using more abstract entities and not using HTML tags, Javascript and other browser-technology entities. This allows to run a Web Dynpro application without change on clients like Web browsers, "smart" clients, mobile clients and other not yet invented ones.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

I am sharing my understanding here, please correct me if i am wrong....

I can use the web dynpro application in two ways

1). Access the web dynpro application using webdynpro iviews in portal(here we cann't give guarantee to look and feel). (here portal is desgined by html)

2) Access the Web dynpro application directly using Application URL.(here look and feel of web dynpro application won't change)

-Siva Manjunathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can use Web Dynpro applications with or without the NW Portal. (If used inside the Portal, there are some extra functionalities available like Portal Eventing.)

But that has nothing to do with the look of the application. You can use one of the predefined themes (e.g. "tradeshow") or your custom theme to change the look. Inside the Portal, of course the Portal theme is used by default.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

Thanks a lot.

I got clear idea about this webdynpro concept.

once again thank you so much for your kind information.

Thanks and Regards,

Siva Manjunathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Thanks a lot for your nice information.

Regards,

Sivamanjunathan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Web Dynpro Java

Web Dynpro Java is the environment within the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio for creating professional Web user interfaces (UI) for business applications. This toolset is based on the Eclipse Open Source framework and aimed at Java Developers.

Web Dynpro ABAP

Web Dynpro for ABAP is SAP’s new standard UI technology for developing user interfaces in the ABAP environment. It combines the well-known features of a ABAP server environment, like the transportation and change management system, security environment, test and performance analysis tools, or remote debugging, with the rendering-independent UI programming model.

For further details https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-ui

Regards

Ayyapparaj