cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to know the memory used by db

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any transaction which tells me the exact memory used by Db (MS SQL)?

If not is there any utilities I can go in and find out the Db memory used?

I remember seeing the screen which says:

Server

Memory Available MBytes = xxxxx

How can i get this? I dont know how to get to it, but i know its possible.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually I suppose that, we cant definitely say that how much memory the database is using because, the frequently used tables are always buffered and less frequently used table are not buffered or partially buffered.

However when a table is accessed, it brought to the buffer and then only seen in the GUI. Suppose consider an instance, some tables are accessed once a month or once a quarter, during that time it buffer used by the total number of tables will be more. than the normal instances.

Regards

Sudha

Former Member
0 Kudos

The table buffers change quite often so trying to track what stays in the table buffers over time can be a challenge. Transaction ST02 shows what is currently in the Generic and Single Record buffers and ST10 will show the effect of buffering on all tables over time (which is useful in that it helps isolate tables that would benefit from buffering and those that should not be buffered at all).

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes

Denver

Edited by: Joe Haynes on Dec 31, 2007 4:22 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

This information is displayed in ST04 and includes both the buffer sizes as well as the storage sizes of data and log files.

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes

Denver