cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy export - error message unable to extend temp segment PSAPTEMP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am performing an export of ECC ABAP+java instance and during the export of the source system I get the following error during the ABAP export:

ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace PSAPTEMP

ORA-27072: File I/O error

What do I need to do with this error? I have extended the tablespace via brtools but still getting the error.

Is this because I did not select the shutdown instance during the export? or do I need to do something more via brtools to the PSAPTEMP tablesapce?

I am running on Oracle 10.2.0.2. unix

Thanks

Mikie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My PSAPTEMP is 8GB.

You have said you increased it to 800GB, that is almost a terabyte. Is this correct?

If so, how did you arrive at this figure.

And if you could define how you extended PSAPTEMP. Did you use brtools? did you recreate PSAPTEMP via SQLPLUS size 800GB and then dropped it and recreated to normal size?

Thanks

Mikie

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

>> My PSAPTEMP is 8GB.

I would bet the table you try to export is bigger (if you export sorted.. you will need temp space)

>> You have said you increased it to 800GB, that is almost a terabyte. Is this correct?

>> If so, how did you arrive at this figure.

As i already said .. this was the temp space that i needed in a sorted exported with many parallel exports (splitted packages and splitted tables). The system that i have migrated was round about 3 TB and we need to do it very fast.. so i needed the temporary space for the many parallel actions... but this should not be the "normal" case if you have no specific values.

>> And if you could define how you extended PSAPTEMP. Did you use brtools?

I have extended it manually (over sqlplus) .. i have monitored it in my test cases with the view V$TEMPSEG_USAGE and increased it if necessary.

>> did you recreate PSAPTEMP via SQLPLUS size 800GB and then dropped it and recreated to normal size?

No, in my case i have exported and imported it at the same time (distribution monitor) so there was no need to drop it after the export, because i have build up a new target database. But under normal conditions you would only drop the tempfiles after your work has been done. This is possible with Oracle 10g (with some restrictions).

=> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_3002.htm#i2093894

Restrictions on Dropping Files To drop a datafile or tempfile, the datafile or tempfile:

- Must be empty.

- Cannot be the first file that was created in the tablespace. In such cases, drop the tablespace instead.

- Cannot be in a read-only tablespace.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

your action was absolutely correct. If you still receive the error "unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace PSAPTEMP" the PSAPTEMP tablespace is still not big enough.

- How big is your PSAPTEMP now?

- Are you exporting sorted or unsorted?

If you export sorted the complete table will be sorted (and so the PSAPTEMP is used excessive) and then be exported. For example some of my experience in export for unicode migration. We need a PSAPTEMP with round about 800GB for a sorted export. (it was done with distribution monitor and many parallel processes)

If you want to figure out who is using the temporary space you can query the view V$TEMPSEG_USAGE:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/dynviews_2164.htm#sthref4138

Regards

Stefan