cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few VC questions....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts, today I have come up with some questions about VC which I could not solve by looking at the different manuals and tutorials found around here (or perhaps I did not check the right manuals?)

1) I'm trying to create a pie chart to compare values A and B, which when added up give me C. The idea is to show the percentage of A that makes up C, as well as the percentage of B that makes up the rest of C. I already did this in the Web Application Designer, using a certain query. I used this same query for my VC model, but no matter what combination of values I put on Category and Series Fields (I started with the combination I used in WAD), I always get a pie chart with the value used in the Category field occupying all the chart, so it says that it covers 100% of the pie. So how am I supposed to place these values so as to show that it is a comparison between them?

2) I am trying to create a simple example of VC's drilldown capabilities. In this example I use a couple of queries and tables. One query is connected to the input of the "first" table, and in this table I am displaying customer's name, amount paid for products A, amount paid for products B and total payment. The idea is that when you click on any row, on the "second" table some more information about the customer's payment should appear, like each date in which he bought any of these products, the amount of A products que bought and the amount of B products he bought on each date. Therefore I connected the output of the first table with the second query (which has the date and amount of products per customer info), put "select" as the event name on this connector, assigned value "@customer" on this connector, and connected the output of the second query with the input of the second table. I run the model and it seems to work fine, when I click on a customer the second table displays a "wait" message on its top right corner, but after a second or two it displays a "non applicable data" on that same place. Am I missing a step or something?

3) I have noticed that VC sometimes uses the technical name of a field in a BI query, and sometimes uses its descriptive name, even in similar queries I've had the same field called differently on each query. This has nothing to do with cryptic or weird names though. The same goes with the BI queries themselves, sometimes when I drag and drop them, they appear with their technical name, and sometimes with their descriptive name. Is there a reason for this? Can this affect me if I try to use these queries and fields for something similar to my second question?

4) Is there a way to "hide" tables or charts and to show them only when a certain even has occurred, and perhaps hide them again if another event occurs?

Well, that would be all for now, thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I worked out a solution for question 2. Instead of connecting the output of the first table to the input of the second query, I created a restriction variable for the second query, and connected the output of the first table to the variables input of the second query. It seems that this way it does take the value I clicked on. There are a couple of "limitations" (I think they should have a solution) though: one has to do with my fourth question, it seems that the table where you are going to show the results must always be present on the layout and you cannot hide it while it holds no results, and the other is that sometimes I get an error "INVALID_VARIABLE_VALUES".

This is a good thing, but I´m still stuck on the other issues. Any thoughts?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pedro,

Qn 1

are you charting A and B on separate pie charts? if so, then they would always occupy the complete chart. if you want to show a comparison using pie charts, you should chart A and B on the same chart with % values pre-calculated in the key figure

Qn 2

Glad to hear you could resolve issue 2. "no applicable data" message occurs when the query/BAPI returns no data. "Invalid_Variable_Values" error occurs when the mandatory variables for queries/BAPI hv not been provided or mapped.

Qn 3

i've never faced this issue. im not very familiar with BI nut did you confirm that in the query designer, the descriptions for the characteristics/key figures are consistent.

Qn 4

you can use visibility conditions for tables and charts. When a certain event is triggered, you can save that info in the data-store and then use this value in the data-store on the visibility condition of tables/charts to decide when to hide/display them. Similarly, when the second event occurs, you can reset the variable in the data-store (based on whatever logic you use --boolean or text variable)

prachi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prachi, thanks for your reply. I am getting closer to creating the reports I need in VC now.

For the first question, I am charting both A and B on the same chart, however, I was not charting pre-calcultated % values in the key figure. I thought that by charting the absolute value of both A and B the pie would auto-adjust to a percentage. I'll try calculating those values myself and charting them, and I'll let you know if that solved the problem.

For the third question, I checked and everything seems to be consistent, however I think the problem has to do with how the characteristics/key figures are represented when running the query, because on some queries we represent them using their keys and in other using their descriptions, perhaps that is the issue here.

For the fourth question, I'd like to take this a little bit further now. There may be situations in which I'd like that instead of appearing/disappearing tables/charts in the same iView, the moment an action occurs you are taken to a different iView, that is, a different report is displayed, which may or may not be on the same model. It could also be on the same window, or on a new window. Is all of this possible?